1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Michelin Tires? Energy Saver A/S or Defender XT?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by going red baby!, Jun 14, 2014.

1. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm deciding between these two while Costco has them for $70 off 4 tires.

Costco.com - Shop for Tires

I already purchased the Energy Savers since that's all they had left when the sale was supposed to be over on 6/11, but now I see that it's back on until 7/6 and the Defenders are back in stock. I was going to schedule to have the Energy Savers installed tomorrow until I saw that.

Prices:

4 Energy Savers = $381.96

4 Defender XTs = $401.96

I've read reviews that say that the Defenders will get lower mileage but they are guaranteed for 30,000 more miles so cost wise it seems they are going to end up better in the long run. I have the Yoko Avid tires that came with the car and they are not in good shape at 30,000 miles.

I'm in Los Angeles, drive both freeway and city streets. I saw a thread where someone said the Energy Savers felt weird on grooved streets. A lot of the freeways have that here.

I guess I can get the Energy Savers and then try to drive enough to decide if I like them or not. I really want the ride to feel good though.

Any thoughts or advice?

2. worldaven

worldaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm trying to decide between the two, too. Which ones did you end up getting?

3. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    energy savers

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It depends on what is more important to you, longevity or mpg. The Defenders have a 90k mile warranty versus the Energy Savers at 60k miles. The Energy Savers will give you better mpg during the life of the tire, probably in the 3-5 mpg range.

I went with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 when replacing the OEM tires since the ES were not available and I lost about 5 mpg at the beginning and am just beginning to get back to where I was with only 5/32 left on the tread.

I have really missed the mpg. When I replace these I will definitely go with the Energy Saver AS for the mpg.

Lonestarlaurel likes this.
  5. worldaven

worldaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MPGs are important....so I think I'll go with the Energy Saver AS

Thanks!

6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I would be looking for tires pretty soon as well. What I really would want to know is some sort of conversion factor that manufacturers would provide so I can compare the Miles per energy unit after factoring in the energy it takes to make the tire, the car, etc. It's very disappointing that this info isn't tracked by manufacturers or provided.

7. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have the Defenders now, but will go with the ES next time to recoup some MPG.

8. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got my defenders about a month ago from costco and love them. Not sure on mileage because we are heading into cold weather here in Chicago area. but they sure grip well in the rain. They seem quieter than the stock ones that came with the car. I had read some minor negatives on the energy savers regarding grip so went with the defenders. No regrets...

#8 harry r, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  9. PartsNinja

PartsNinja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine came with Defenders on it. It has been a great tire so far. I would say it depends on how long your commute is. I drive a 100 mile round trip to work everyday. So I need a long lasting tire vs. the higher gas mileage. But if you are just looking for an around town tire. The gas savings is probably more important. Most of the people I see with a short commute and the longer lasting Michelin tires end up replacing them because of dry rot long before the tread is used up.

WilDavis likes this.
  10. Kachellen

Kachellen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been running both tires, here's my actual readings from past.
    First set - Energy Saver A/S, 49.3 mpg, 4 years 42K miles. replaced by Defender due to one of them keep drawing low PSI attention.
    2nd set - Defender, 47.6 mpg(first 500 mile break-in time) then 48.7 mpg after break-in.
    Both are excellent tires, you won't regret with either one. I bought defenders is because it's hard to find Energy Saver A/S. If less than 1 mpg trade-off for more comfortable ride and better handling make more sense to you, then Defender is your pick. Again, both are outstanding compare to other brands. Hope it helps!

idezotl, Mendel Leisk, compac and 2 others like this.
  11. Amanda Benson-Bremseth

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi all! I will be buying my first set of tires very soon and I have been told that the Michelin Energy Savers are discontinued, but my car guys were able to find a set that would run $666.24 (ominous number!) with a $50 Mail Rebate, and that still seems really high to me...I found another reputable tire place that is offering the Michelin Defenders for $554...I drive 48 mi RT for work each day and we take weekend trips a few times a month...I need help with figuring out which would be best for me? My instinct is to get a tire that will last the longest, but my commute is a considerable time...any advice? TIA!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    go to tirerack.com, purchase the energy savers and they will hook you up with a local installer. compare that price to the 666.

the defenders will last longer, cost less up front, and cost a couple mpg's. so probably the cheapest.
    the energy savers will be better for fossil fuel reduction.
    if you're going to look at defenders, consider premiere also. you can compare them all on tire rack, and read reviews. there are also reviews here, if you care to search.

13. Amanda Benson-Bremseth

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great advice! Thanks so much!

bisco likes this.
  14. traveler7

traveler7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too just bought my first set after 59000 and drive about 40 miles a day. I went with the Michelin Defenders for the 90K warranty and already put on 300 miles and I love them. I ended up buying at Sears for about $580. Costco was about $70 cheaper but with Sears rewards it will be less and not having to deal with nitrogen, time and ease of service I went to Sears.

15. traveler7

traveler7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought my first set after 59000 and drive about 40 miles a day. I went with the Michelin Defenders for the 90K warranty and already put on 300 miles and I love them. I haven't figure out if a difference in mileage so we'll see.
    I ended up buying at Sears for about $580. Costco was about $70 cheaper but with Sears rewards it will be less and not having to deal with nitrogen, time and ease of service I went to Sears.

16. idezotl

idezotl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ Kachellen do you happen to have any more numbers on the Defender Vs Energy Saver A/S? I'm thinking about getting the Defender XT or the Energy Saver A/S from Sam's Club. Need a better tire than stock for this winter that is coming up. Anyone know why the Energy Saver 195 65/r15 91T only has a 55k warranty at Sam's?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    likely the softer rubber that provides the extremely smooth and quiet ride wears faster.

18. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I cannot recommend the Defender XT from costco for any reason. They had horrible edge wear and were near bald at about 45k. Odd to have extreme edge wear since I ran around 37psi in them. Also had alignment checked regularly and this wear pattern was evident on all tires. Costco stood behind the product and gave me about 75% credit back on some new tires. Running ecopias now.

19. Kachellen

Kachellen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @idezotl, have been put 30k miles on Defender since installed. the thread is still in a good shape. As to mileage comparison between Defender Vs Energy Saver A/S, It's actually getting better than Energy Saver A/S. I doubt the improvement is contributed from Defender but more from your driving habit. I learn the pause-glide technique from YouTube and now my mpg is up to 53.
    Again both tires are excellent choices. If you drive a lot, go for defender. If not, Premier would be your pick as I wonder ES A/S is no more manufactured by Michelin. BTW, I got my Defender from nearby Discount Tire store instead of far-away Costco due to service concern(balance/rotation).

20. Kachellen

Kachellen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also if you purchase tires from Costco, you need balance/rotation service performed by them. Otherwise Costco won't honor warranty according to one of my friends' experience.