1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which mobile phone carrier do you have?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Gasitman, Dec 30, 2009.

?
  1. Sprint

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Verizon

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. AT&T

15 vote(s)
    34.9%
  4. T-Mobile

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Virgin Mobile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. No cell phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Multiple accounts with different carriers to confuse the DEA

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Pay as you go

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gasitman

Gasitman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just curious, and do you like your carrier or despise them and can not wait until the contract is up to change?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use Cellular South.

3. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sprint with Nextel Direct connect. It's the best service I've ever had out of a phone. I do have some spots where the direct connect don't work well while I'm driving the truck but, Overall I give it a A.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    AT&T and T-Mobile for me.

AT&T: Only have them because of the iPhone 3G.
    Like them? They're so so. But I really don't like any carrier.

T-Mobile: Have them because I wanted an Android phone it had to be GSM (had to use SIMs), which limited me to T-Mobile. :(

Like them? Not really due to past experiences at work and horrible coverage in the SF Bay Area experienced by multiple friends.

Having the iPhone 3G, another GSM carrier and an Android phone are all related to my work. I had Sprint before and they were actually ok. If Sprint had an iPhone 3G and CDMA used SIMs, I would've probably stuck w/Sprint or gone to Verizon.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pay as you go = prepaid?

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have two (and voted twice).

For me, there are three domains of satisfaction for a cell phone company: value, customer service, and coverage. I will comment on each individually.

Phone service is through Consumer Cellular (voted as "Other"), an AT&T reseller. It's a great value for my needs and calling habits, with a no-frills phone and plan and no contract. Customer service is excellent. My calls to them have always been answered promptly. Representatives are courteous and helpful and are Americans who speak fluent English. Coverage is mostly adequate. Other carriers have better coverage in my area (Verizon especially), but it meets my needs.

I have a mobile broadband card through Sprint. Sprint's mobile broadband was the cheapest available when I first subscribed. The value to me of a portable high-speed internet provider is high. It's very convenient to have web access anywhere cell phone service can be found. Customer service is so-so. After reaching a representative, they're generally helpful, though I'm often in a 10-minute we'll-answer-in-the-order-received queue. Coverage is very good and almost always available in areas I travel to and through. Still, knowing Verizon's supposed coverage superiority, I tried their mobile broadband service a few months ago. Interestingly, I couldn't connect from my fiancee's home. She lives in a mostly rural area, but it's not far off the beaten path and Sprint's signal is good. So I dropped Verizon. I recently re-upped with Sprint for another two years to upgrade the card to a MiFi.

7. macdonald

macdonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking strongly about going with TracFone. I like the idea of no contract.

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sprint has the cheapest talk/data plans.
    Im paying about $50 (after discounts )for unlimited data,450 minutes talk.But if I call another mobile phone theres no minutes used.
    I think last month I called land lines for 5 minutes.
    Free roaming,unlimited text,GPS ,Video
    Coverage is not quite that of Verizon,but much better than ATT.
    Last week in Yosemite the ATT people had no phone,while the Verizon and Sprint people had service.
    Mine was roaming ,but was free.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have AT&T because they are the only company with GSM coverage in this area. Anyone else and you have to walk around town looking for a working spot ("Can you hear me now?").

Do I like them? No, but then I don't like any cellular company. I dislike the entire business model used in the USA for cellular phones and cable TV. I have both because I use them, but I don't like the way they do business.

Tom

10. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have AT&T (voted) and hate them. Verizon has the best coverage in the Bay Area of CA but they do not have iPhone. I really like the iPhone functionality but it necessarily comes with AT&T's poor coverage. In San Francisco, on Potrero Hill, I get almost no coverage at my friend's office on the top floor of his building. That is just stupid. I also think AT&T is overly expensive.

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got my wife an iPhone. a friend has one and it gets good coverage here as well as at our cabin, where our T-mobile coverage sucks. So far, I'm hapy with At&T but it's still early.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have an iPhone so I'm stuck with AT&T. I don't mind, since I don't live in a big city and I don't have a problem with them.

I used to have Verizon. They were great.

I then went with Sprint because they were cheaper. You get what you pay for. I am not making this up - my signal with Sprint was better in Mexico in the middle of the desert than it was at home.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have Verizon through default since they bought the local Alltel company. Alltel customer service and response was much better than Verizon. Being a smaller company, Alltel responded quicker than Verizon and seemed to be more advanced with the new technology than Verizon.

Verizon has improved their coverage considerably so is good from that standpoint.

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have Sprint. They are okay. I never use anything like all my minutes, and texts cost me extra (DON'T TEXT ME!!!), but I am on the cheapest plan.

As soon as my contract is up, I plan to get a pre-paid. I never use all my minutes, but I do like having a cell phone, since we do a lot of long-distance driving.

One thing that irks me about all cell providers, is charging for texting. Texts are 'free' to the providers. They travel on the sub-carrier waves, and do not take up any bandwidth (voice/data) at all. That's why you can often get a text when you can't get enough signal for voice. Texts should all be free.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have verizon and its the most expensive, but gets the best service around here i am guessing. now had ATT (was cingular back then) during their switchover, but a few on my plan dont get service from ATT at their home, so we switched.

now that Verizon has the android, i no longer crave or desire an i-phone. (ATT has very little 3 G coverages outside major city centers around here, Verizon has it nearly EVERY WHERE)

have someone on my account that went and got the Moto Droid when it was first released.(now its open source, but unlike Mozilla, Linux, and other open source projects, Android is being developed by Google who has pretty much displaced Apple as the "1-2" punch along side microsoft.) and like most new products, it was not ready to be released. had major audio, battery management and memory management issues. but all have been addressed in multiple updates from Google and all major issues appear to have been resolved with the most recent one.

now, its way too early to see how this new partnership with Google and Verizon is going to work out, but it continues a trend of verizon releasing control of its services to outside vendors which is the main reason why Verizon does not offer the i-phone. Apple went to them first, but wanted more control (well actually ALL of the control) on how the i-phone was developed than Verizon was willing to give them or anyone else at the time.

only thing that irks me in a way is how they are marketing their phones. they cut the upgrade prices of their PDA's down to nothing to get you in, requires a data plan of $29.99 a month, and raised the early termination fees to $350... the math works because before that bump in the penalties, you could start service, get the phone, cancel it pay the fees and sell the device on e-bay and make a profit.

but, oh well. took them a while to figure that one out...

16. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have AT&T atm. They're fine, there's a couple spots I drive through where I almost always have a dropped call, but not bad.

I think I'll be switching to Verizon in July though, when my contract is up, so I can get the Droid. I am anti-iPhone (mostly because of Apple's control/proprietary issues but also in part because so many people I work with act like they drank iKoolaid and it scares me) so I won't go there, plus from what I see the Droid is the better phone at this point in time and I can get it for half the price. I'll re-investigate before I buy a new one this summer. I really like that my current phone (LG VU) has TV, I don't know if any others have it or not.

17. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, especially if you are already paying for a data plan.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    moto droid has a 500 Mhz processor, comes with 16 GB memory card and its completely open source development thru google which means its not controlled by "cellphone company mentality"

verizon has built a rep on being "closed system" remember the motorola BT issues where motorola created a phone that could transfer files via BT but verizon disabled it. but now, Verizon has allowed outside vendors a lot more latitude. RIM, Palm, Etc now have their own apps store. granted the sucess of i-phone apps probably forced verizon to change, but its a good thing. unlike ATT, verizon does have an extensive and very capable 3 G network.

now, are the regretting this?? well, maybe. their much hyped $9.99 a month navigation system is far below what Google Maps offers for free...lol ya ANDROID!!

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya, but like any very popular thing, there is always someone making money on it. texting has become the most popular method of communication. i have 7 lines on my account including 4 people 25 and under and they use hardly any minutes but all text anywhere from 2-10,000 a month!!

20. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2 cans and a very very long string. Call quality suffers when it is raining.

1 person likes this.