1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which model has SOS system and what is it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenGuy33, Nov 9, 2009.

1. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read a story with a happy ending about the SOS system. Is the SOS system only available on certain models?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  3. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought SOS was standard on all GenIII's but not so. Mindmachine shared this and I wanted to pass it on:

1 person likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Couldn't you get lojack if you want the same thing?

5. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the link. I wonder if the SOS system is self-powered as well?

"Besides, in the car theft capital that is California, the last thing you need is LoJack for hybrids: you'll find most of them hypermiling on city streets or doing 95 mph in the carpool lane..." :D

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    On Star ... SOS ... LowJack ... all their transmit power is minimal (under a couple watts, down to a few miliwatts) because that's all that's necessary to reach the receiver. Besides, who'd want to be exposing their self needlessly to RF that can heat food? Yet there are ways to jam radio frequencies that transmitt thousands of watts. The Pro crooks WILL get your car ... whether it's got the devices above, or glass breakage sensors, or whatever absent an armed guard. That's just the society we live in. Unfortunately, the low crime neighborhoods are often the most expensive. What'dya gona do.

8. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The Safety Connect system is powered by the Prius's battery, however in case of an emergency there is enough self contained reserve power for short signal to Safety Connect's control, that does not require the vehicle's battery. As long as the Prius or any safety connect car is within Verizon's coverage area it can recieve and send a SOS signal.

9. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Safety connect is avaliable on the IV and V models. They must have either the NY (Nav), SY (Sunroof and Nav) or AY (Tech and Nav) to get safety connect. Currently only vehicles with Nav will be recieving safety connect.

There are no plans to offer retrofit to vehicles that do not have safety connect installed at the factory.

10. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This may seem an obvious question, but I'm curious: Will SOS work if there's no cell coverage?

There are still several areas of the country where cell coverage is poor to non-existent, i.e., parts of the Napa Valley or the Nevada high country I drove thru a few weeks ago. The thought crossed my mind what I would do if the rental broke down or if there was an accident.

11. Carnutt

Carnutt Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Others, correct me if I'm wrong, but SOS works via satellite not cell tower, thus will work virtually anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  12. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My opinion - SHAME on Toyota for only having this feature on the IV or V, and only with Nav. OK, the technology no doubt needs some of the Nav electronics to operate - but........ How in heck has GM provided OnStar STANDARD on their vehicles, even cheapos? And no wisecrackin' about the GM's bankrupcy....

Safety Connect - check the name... can be an important safety feature for many drivers. So why relegate it to only the most expensive models?

BTW - I'm out of luck, my V does not have Nav (my choice) and built in May. I'm OK without SC, but too bad for those wanting it but feel Toyota is upselling them. Am I wrong here?

13. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree 100%!!!
    It seems so wrong at so many levels to offer safety features only on the high end models.

14. jtv

jtv /* No comment */

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Safety Connect uses GPS to track the location of the car and embedded cellular technology to communicate with the call center.

The cellular network is however not your usual cell phone network. It is provided by ATX Group (http://www.atxg.com/).
    I couldn't find the information anywhere but I suppose (or hope :) they have better coverage.

Source: http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=84124

Couldn't attach links, please remove the extra spaces...

15. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Kiitos!

16. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Safety connect uses Verizon's national network for communication. The sattelite network is only for GPS signal. If you are out of Verizon's coverage area communication with Safety Connect is NOT possible.

In other words if there is no Verizon coverage in a particular area of the US you will not be able to communicate with Safety Connect and it will not work.

17. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Fear not, Toyota intends to increase the avaliabilty of Safety Connect to most if not all of its models in the next couple of years.

Remember this is a new system. So the initial avaliabilty will be limited. Not only will Toyota include more and more models avaliable with Safety Connect. They also intend to add additional features to it as it grows.

18. R2Pre2

R2Pre2 Feel the Force!

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

:phone: Spoke with Toyota's Safety Connect people yesterday and learned that my "stolen Prius" experience was now an interesting [but good] statistic: this was the 1st time SOS / Safety Connect had been used in a Prius!

It would be nice if there was a retrofit option (hint, hint), but at least Toyota is realizing SOS is a very good/useful service and will be adding it to more models.

19. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not "fearing" - but if I was a new Prius buyer FORCED to get the IV or V and Nav to get (and pay for) an important safety feature...well. Toyota is on the forefront of much new technology but appears to be just awakening to this. I mean old news for GM and Ford, and other major mfrs.

Safety connect uses Verizon's national network for communication. The sattelite network is only for GPS signal. If you are out of Verizon's coverage area communication with Safety Connect is NOT possible.

In other words if there is no Verizon coverage in a particular area of the US you will not be able to communicate with Safety Connect and it will not work.

Wow. Not very comforting when a purchaser/subscriber has it and traveled in a lot of uncovered areas. ie - you're out of luck. What does OnStar and others use?

20. ToyotaFleetManager

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All systems out there including OnStar uses cell phone service. Ford's Sync 911 does not even use an imbedded cell communications in the vehicle but the driver's own cell phone through a bluetooth connection. There is currently to the best of my knowledge no satellite communication service on any of the emergency systems.

As for Toyota being behind times, please keep in mind that Toyota is ahead of Honda, Nissan, and others with this type of system.