1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which models have the most white (REFLECTING heat) on the dashboard?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by davide, May 5, 2018.

1. davide

davide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Although I live in the north, where the summer sun isn't so intense, I hate getting into a hot car. So I bought a custom Heatshield from the affiliated Shop soon after buying my beloved 2012 Prius C---especially because my dashboard is completely black (heat absorbing).
    In a couple years I may look to buy a USED bigger Gen 4 "liftback" Prius---I like the standard safety equipment. Question: As I recall my previous searching around, some of the Gen 4 models have at least SOME white area on the dashboard. Which specific models are these?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's a couple of years, wait till then.

TOYOTA has a mid-model rehash in the wings, and one report I read was that they've gone with boring black with NO white, unfortunately.

The white is great :), it always looks clean and fresh, doesn't show dust, fingerprints etc like the piano black which always looks dusty and smudged. :(:(.

Mendel Leisk and krmcg like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the gen 4 table in the main forum, i think it lists the white bits and which models, but i doubt there is enough on the cup holders, shifter and steering wheel to make a difference. maybe the white softex?

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You need to be careful in putting white reflective material on the dash.
    Under certain fairly common lighting conditions, that can reflect off the inside of the windshield and cut your forward vision WAY down.

5. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The white dashboard and seats was an optional color combination for 2016 at least. The same model can come with either black or white.
    I have the white dash on my 2016 4 Touring and haven't had any glare issues with it even in the bright Colorado sun.

shrek likes this.