1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which oil change interval? Amsoil 12k vs. Budget oil 5k

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Samuraidog, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which would you choose for your Gen 2 Prius? For the sake of argument, let's assume that cost is nearly identical.
    1. Oil change interval of 12,000 miles using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 + Toyota OEM filter.
    2. Oil change interval of 5,000 miles using budget brand oil 5W-30 (Supertech, Kirkland synthetic, etc.) + Toyota OEM filter
    I'm curious to know what the forum thinks is better for your engine.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    fresh oil always better, 5000 miles using budget

ydpplqbd and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Frequent oil changes are better than any long life oil that retains abrasive detritus and varnish.

Cheap in spec synthetic oil from Walmart is better than any expensive oil at 5k full of abrasive particles circulating through the engine.

edthefox5 and ydpplqbd like this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I look at it a bit differently. I prefer quality parts.

BUT
    -- I also prefer taking a look around underneath the car regularly, which isn't going to happen unless I change the oil frequently,

So, I use good parts at frequent intervals. As the radio and newspaper gurus "Click and Clack" used to say, "It's the cheapskate who spends the most."

They also think today's "cheap" oil is pretty darn good.

OPINION | CAR TALK: Lifetime oil-change deals sometimes come with cheap oil

ydpplqbd likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The Grand Canyon was abraded and eroded by a liquid (water) bearing fine abrasive particles of sediment eroded from hills and mountains. Very little would have occurred, if rain (distilled) water was the only component running over the rocks.

No abrasive detritus in new clean oil means almost no wear.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  6. Samuraidog

Samuraidog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for this video. I've watched his videos before. At first, I didn't think this particular video was relevant, but at the end he mentioned (without specifically naming Amsoil) the long oil change intervals, so it is spot on for this discussion.

My 2009 Prius at 183k miles on the odo burns about one quart every 5,000 miles. I realize this isn't bad, but I'd prefer it not to get worse. The last three oil changes, I changed to Amsoil and let it get to 10k miles. Now, I'm second-guessing that strategy.
    Thanks to all for the input.

ydpplqbd and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  7. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I don't know why Toyota owner's manuals suggest every 10,000 miles but they do point out extreme conditions, which is what many/most of us drive, at 5,000 miles.
    In our cars, 5,000 or 6-months. (I just changed my wife's 2017 Prius...has been 6-month and only had 2,400 miles) When I had an older Scion, over 100,000 miles, I changed it every 4-months or 3,000 miles. I'm always looking for sales when I go to parts stores and will stock up and our Toyota dealer sells 6-quart cases for a very good price (especially the 0W-16 which can be hard to find in the store.)
    Oil and an oil filter are much cheaper than having issues popping up.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.