1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Oil Drain Plug To Buy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Smooth Operator, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Smooth Operator

I have started doing my own oil changes.

I'm thinking of changing the drain plug. It seems to me that there are two options. I could get the magnetic kind or the quick change kind.

I like the idea of the convenience of the quick change drain plug. But if the magnetic plug really provides some benefit, I don't mind setting the convenience aside for the benefit.

So, do people think the magnetic oil drain plugs really provide a benefit?

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator @ Aug 14 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]303009[/snapback]</div>

I have used magnetic drain plugs in the past, but IMO the stuff that will collect on the magnetic drain plug has a natural tendency to settle on the bottom. Otherwise why is there sludge in the bottom of an oil pan? I love the valve not just because it’s easy but for the lack of spillage. There is nothing like changing your oil and not getting any on your hands or anywhere else for that matter. :)

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Aug 14 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]303140[/snapback]</div>
    How do you keep from getting oil on you when you change the filter?

Does the drain plug with the valve in it allow you to drain all of the oil that you would get out with the normal plug? I know some stays in the engine anyway but doesn't the Fumoto plug stick up in the pan a little bit? or does it matter?

4. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Aug 14 2006, 03:04 PM) [snapback]303162[/snapback]</div>
    From the Fumoto Valve web site:
    "The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. In most cases, the Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above."

When I installed the Fumoto valve on my 2006 I did a visual inspection of both the threaded valve and pan. I had the vehicle up on a hydraulic lift and was able to fully inspect these parts. I am completely satisfied that the Fumoto valve will not hinder drainage from the oil pan. However, I also believe the car should be level for best results, as the Prius oil pan is designed to slope toward the plug drain. Having the car unevenly raised too much could potentially leave more residual than the Fumoto valve.
    One of the key advantages with Fumoto valve is better draining when oil is warm since this lowers the viscosity significantly (more free flowing). Have fun. :)

By the way, did I say I love this car? :D

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK I just ordered an F103, I'll give it a try.

6. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator @ Aug 14 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]303009[/snapback]</div>
    Last time I checked aluminum was not magnetic so don't waste your money. The valve types have the potential to drip. What the car comes with is just fine. Change the gasket with the filter and you'll be fine

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Aug 14 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]303162[/snapback]</div>

I use the cut off 2 liter plastic bottle process that I found on PriusChat. B)

8. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, I have the Fumoto valve on 2 cars of mine and while its very convenient, It takes forever to drain the oil through that small valve. I installed one on my Cummins engine that holds 11 quarts of oil. I took it out and threw it away. It would take over an hour to drain 11 quarts of oil using the Fumoto even when the oil is warm and just under 30 seconds with just the drain plug. On my Toyota Pickup with 5 quarts of oil it takes around 25 minutes to drain the oil. Way too long!!! Just stick with the drain plug. :rolleyes:
    -Paul R. Haller-

9. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the Fram SureDrain on my Honda Odyssey, and it's been great over the last 3 years! Hasn't leaked a drop of oil, and has been easy to use when draining the oil during changes. I'm on my way to pick up the SD3 model for my Prius :D

10. c4

c4 Active Member

Years ago, I saw an absolutely great set of oil filter wrenches- they looked like a set of plastic tumblers that all fit one inside another, but that was just the way they stored.. What you'd do is select the right size for your filter- inside the plastic cup at the bottom was a metal insert that was shaped to match the filter base so it could be used as a wrench. The cup would go up over the filter and then you'd turn the whole thing to remove the filter and the oil would be caught in the cup instead of dripping all over the place..

Unfortunately, at the time, I wasn't into doing my own oil changes, so I never picked up a set and the next time I looked for them, the store had stopped carrying them.. Has anyone else seen these?? I would love to pick up a set, but nobody has them anymore..

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another satisfied Fram SureDrain customer. Takes longer to drain but I'm also rotating my tires at the same time so it works out great.

Wayne

12. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Everytime I change my oil, I get a grey film of pasty paint like substance that looks like very fine powdered metal.

I can't believe gears could be aluminum and still work after 200K miles.
    What about cylinder walls?.... aluminum makes a downright mess when rubbed under friction.... Surely there is metal somewhere.... or I wouldn't get what I get off the magnet.

13. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you use a vacuum pump, you never have to remove the plug, (Actually gets more oil our too!) you never have to replace it!

Icarus

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unless you just turned the car off after being fully heated.. I would fear a vaccum pump wouldn't do as good a job getting the bottom...

If I wasn't using a magnetic drain plug, I would think the valved one would be easier than dealing with trying to pump it out from above.. especially since you have to get the filter anyway.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Aluminum block engines can either use a special surface hardened process on the cylinder walls, or most likely use a cylinder liner of more conventional iron

I found the Prius *very* easy to change the oil in, so rarely used my Mityvac fluid extractor. The few times I did, less than a tablespoon of oil remained in the pan once I pulled the drain plug

I got the Mityvac to make servicing conventional automatic transmissions easier. Most domestic auto transmissions do NOT have a drain plug, or in the case of my 2000 GMC Sierra, it was conveniently seized from the factory

Nothing beats a hot shower of ATF once you start to loosen all those pan bolts!

The Mityvac holds almost 2 gals of oil, so it's handy for servicing a transmission. When I change the power steering fluid in a conventional vehicle, it easily slurps out the old fluid. Ditto when I change/flush the brake fluid

Of course, I never had to worry about power steering fluid with the Prius. And you cannot DIY a brake fluid flush in a Prius anyway

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pulling the drain plug, after vacuuming, I got ONE drop!!!

I really don't see the need to pull the plug, and risk leaks, cross threading etc.

Icarus