1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which oil filter pliers should I use?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by pshadow, Dec 6, 2018.

1. pshadow

pshadow New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello, can I use this oil filter plier that I already have to change oil for my 2010 Prius?
    [​IMG]

Or I'll need to buy something like this to take off oil filter?
    [​IMG]

Thank you so much!

2. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Barbaric plyers. You will need to purchase the stated filter wrench to remove the oil filter canister. (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm using the standard Honda automotive oil filter socket. Mine's got an out-of-date part number, but believe it's this:

For folks with Ad Blocker:

upload_2018-12-6_18-35-56.png

It's about 64.5 mm inside face-to-face of flutes, 14 flutes. It does not extend down onto the stiffener, which is maybe a solution in search of a problem? I've just check with a Mazda oil filter, for our son's new vehicle, appears to work there as well. Seems to be an industry standard, well for at least 3 manufacturers.

I do have a pair of pliers somewhat like the OP's first pick: they work great in the kitchen, when I'm struggling with a jar lid... :oops:

#3 Mendel Leisk, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    RMB, Raytheeagle and Bay Stater like this.
  4. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On Amazon it is showing a different oil filter wrench for 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Toyota engines, I bought the 4 cyl filter wrench planning to DIY oil changes from now on for my Prius. I also have a Sienna with v6 engine with canister type oil filter. I have compared the images of the wrenches shown on Amazon/eBay and there is like total 6 grooves vs 4 (3 on one side and 1 on the opposite end). I haven't gotten a chance to get under the Sienna van to test fit. Wondering if my 4 cyl. filter wrench will work on my Sienna. Thanks in advance. ;)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the thing: with sockets that don't extend down into the intermittent stiffener zone, one size fits all.

Bay Stater and RMB like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used the same tool on the RX450h when I did the oil change at 5k as the Prius :).

So they can be interchangeable (y).

RMB likes this.