1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which oil for HOT desert driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by desertbriez, Aug 22, 2007.

1. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i want to use mobile 1.... but which numbers? i've searched and see some answers for cold winter driving (going with lesser numbers).... so does that mean i want higher numbers (i.e. 10w40) for HOT HOT HOT desert driving?

thanx!!!!

2. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Aug 22 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]500500[/snapback]</div>
    Your owner's manual must have a page for that. It should show a chart, with oil viscosity and temperature range for each viscosity.

For the climate I'm in, 5W-30 is the right choice, and I use Mobil 1 in that viscosity for my Prius. Keep in mind that you have a water-cooled engine in your Prius, so the temperature in your Prius engine won't be much higher than the engine in my Prius. We both have the same thermostat that regulates flow through the engine and radiator. Our maximum engine temperatures will be about the same, even though you are in the desert.

Good luck,

Harry

3. treehggr

treehggr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd actually like to know this too but from what I've read 5w-30 seems like the the way to go and if I'm not mistaken this is what Toyota recommends in the manual.

4. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(treehggr @ Aug 22 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]500532[/snapback]</div>
    You definitely don't want to change the low-end number - that's the rating for cold weather. A 10W30 and a 5W30 probably act about the same in hot weather. On the other hand, I'm driving the specified 5W30 in Phoenix at 110o with no problems, and that's what the Toyota dealers in town use, so stick with the manufacturer's recommendation.

5. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    the engine runs at 180F so whats desert heat compared to that ?

I think may automakers and dealers just want you to change the oil and always buy the most expensive. I don't believe you can tell them apart in real world testing.

My old 2003 ciciv hybrid recommended 10,000 between oil changes with 0w20. I never had any problems. The dealer always said you should change at 3K. Of course more money in his pocket.

6. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstack @ Aug 22 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]500694[/snapback]</div>
    HEY! don't be a smartass! [​IMG] i just DRIVE it..... i don't work on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways.... thanx for the info.... never thought of it that way! just ASSUMED (and you know that that get you!) that since it was hotter here.... well... i was wrong!!!!

thanx, guys!