1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which oil weight???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mwc716, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mwc716

mwc716 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm about to start changing my own oil now that the dealer as screwed me yet again...Another overfill. I plan on using Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter. After much research on here, what I'd like to know is:

I cannot figure which weight oil to use! I know Toyota specs 5w30 but I've seen so many different people using other weights that I'm confused. I don't want to adversely affect MPG but also want to get the most bang for my buck, ya know? It's pretty warm here year round so I do not know if that changes anything.

Any clarification would be great!

BTW: I have some UOA kits on order from Blackstone so I can test the Toyota oil and see what the change is to the Mobil 1. Can't wait!

2. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You live in GA, USA where the summers are hot and the winters mild. Going to a 20 wt oil would see little benefit in fuel economy or cold start wear reduction. I would stay with 5W-30 Mobil 1 EP for longer drain intervals which are better for the environment. People get decent 10,000 mile intervals on UOA with this oil.

If you want to go to a longer interval, than Amsoil 0W-30 SSO would be my recommendation.

Rumple

3. mwc716

mwc716 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sounds good! Thats what I was thinking. Know of any place to get the Mobil 1 EP for a discount?

4. uvm1969

uvm1969 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would recommend the 0W-20 synthetic motor oil by Penzoil, called Penzoil Platinum. I get better mileage than with the 5W-30 I had been using, and it easily handles the heat here in Texas.

5. mwc716

mwc716 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Makes me nervous to use such a light oil. Could there be any long-term problems? If so, what?

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh, yeah, you would likely wear out the engine faster. Use what the designers of the engine advise.

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If your vehicle is still under warranty then I would stick with the weight Toyota recommends.