1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which one Optima or OEM???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Crain, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's time for me to replace the 12v battery ... before winter sets in. I was going to get an Optima after reading some of the negative past posts about this battery I'm not sure. My car has the original battery and except for a couple of driver mistakes it's held up well. So what are you guys putting in now?
    Thanks Don

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a Bosch agm battery from Pep Boys two years ago. Fit perfectly and has been functioning well.

upload_2015-9-20_14-15-2.png

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The battery Liberty Toyota sold me lasted some 6 weeks and their customer service on the warranty claim was crap. Never again. I bought an Optima from eLearnAid when the 2010 needed one. No regrets.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would buy the TrueStart labeled battery sold by Toyota dealer parts depts. since the warranty coverage is excellent.

An alternative is the Exide AGM battery (the Bosch battery shown above is the same battery with a different brand name). You can probably buy that for a lower price than the TrueStart.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oem, if i ever need one. i got 8 years out of my first one, the second is 7 years old and still going, and my current one is 3 1/2 years and reading 12.8 - 13.0, no complaints.

6. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Second, the Exide, have had it longer than the Optima that it replaced. It also cost less than the Optima.

7. DP200248721

DP200248721 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have Optima in all of my cars except the Prius, have yet to ever have a problem with them... the Prius will be getting one soon just as a safe bet, was debating on a Braille Endurance Series battery though

8. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So long as you get a fresh battery I don't think it matters. I've had good luck so far (2 1/2 years) with the Optima purchased off Amazon. Some say to charge it before installing, but I say its much more important to get fresh.

9. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. Crain

Crain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help. I'll check on the price of an OEM and see if my wallet can handle it. If not one of the other ones and charge it up before installing.
    Milkman that's the type of battery I use for jump starting the car. I have it set up with small battery clamps... It's small ... easy to carry and sits in the shop on a trickle charger. For the days I don't get a door closed properly or some other fool thing and run the battery down LOL
    Don

11. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Crain, my original battery was coming up on 6 yrs old so I replaced it, but it's still going on my generator, got it hooked to a maintainer also.