1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which one to get?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MarkB1000, Sep 17, 2007.

1. MarkB1000

MarkB1000 New Member

Hi everyone - new to the boards but I've been reading posts here for about a month. Folks here have been great in helping each other out, and I promise to do my best to do the same once I'm in a position to know what I'm talking about!

I'm sold on the Prius after a test drive. But kind of up in the air on exactly what to get. Probably a 2008 since it looks like 2007 inventory is dwindling around here (Sarasota area) and I don't like the remaining 2007 colors. I don't think we need touring although I honestly didn't think to test drive a touring model. I've gone the internet sales manager route with several area dealerships and really not getting far with negotiations. Looks like list most likely. I'd wait until prices come down a bit but I really need a new car now. The '94 Corolla is still running but starting to develop some problems I don't want to pay for if it suddenly goes belly up.

I'm not really into the navigation system. I mean I like the idea of the integration and for me, the more gadgets the better. But I figure I can add something better aftermarket and for now I can always pull my old Magellan from the Corolla until finding something new. And most likely a new nav would have better bluetooth too. So I'm pretty much debating between a package 2 and a package 3. A couple of family friends with 2007 package 2 said they weren't wild about the radio. So that leans me towards package 3. But then there's the bluetooth with that which may prove redundant.

Basically what I'm asking is... is the package 3 worth it? From what I can see it's the package 2 with the better radio and speakers, bluetooth, rear view mirror with homelink (not sure if I care about that either), and the alarm (which is nice). For like $1500 bucks more.

Any opinions on the relative merits of a package 2 vs package 3?

edit: any advice on the buying process and getting the best deal would be appreciated too. I know already about not getting the extended warranty or other dealer addons.

Thanks,

Mark

2. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkB1000 @ Sep 17 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]513708[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't kept up with the option packages lately but I can tell you about my buying experience on a 2006 #4. I live in the West Central FL area as you do and took delivery on my 2006 Prius in Jan of 2006. Many of the dealers in my area were charging excessive amounts over MSRP ($2,000 and they were getting it too!) and various other BS charges such a doc fees, etc.

I bought mine at Earl Stewart Toyota in North Palm Beach across the state. Most of the particulars were done over the internet. But the salesman was always available on the phone if needed too. Price was MSRP. The only fee added was the mandatory destination fee. No Toyoguard (see the movie Fargo!), no doc fees, nothing else. Just tax, tag, and dest. fee.

I took the morning $80 (made the reservation with only one day advance notice) Southwest flight from TPA (they have or a least had three per day!) to North Palm Beach. Salesman was there waiting to pick me up. Went to the dealership, inspected the car (it had 1.3 miles on the odo, it was fresh off the truck the day before), test drove it, and paid for the car that morning. Enjoyed a nice couple hundred mile drive across the state with the Prius.

I sent a friend of mine to them and I even received a $100 bird dog bonus from Earl Stewart for sending them business.

For my next car I don't even think I'll waste my time with the dealers locally here. I'll just call Earl Stewart Toyota and do it again when the time comes.

Rick
    #4 2006

3. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Sep 17 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]513742[/snapback]</div>
    If I had it to do over again, I think I would get the Touring package 3, just for the upgraded tires. The upgraded sterio in pkg 3 has a six disc changer, which I don't think is that much better than the single disc for the way I use it. Too much trouble keeping track of which 6 cds are in there. But the upgraded sterio does have more speakers and Bluetooth hands free phone operation.

I ended up with non-Touring pkg 5, and I would not pony up the extra $1,350 for the Toyota NAV system. It is not worth it.

4. MarkB1000

MarkB1000 New Member

Thanks Viking, I put in an online price request with Earl Stewart. Will let you know how it goes.

NoMoShocks, I guess for me it comes down to whether the sound from the upgraded radio is really that much better than the standard. And if that anti theft system is worth it.

Thanks,

Mark

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  6. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went with option two. I wanted the stability control (Minnesota weather). I didn't think I really needed the stereo upgrade. I think I will add the XM (referred to on this forum) as soon as I can.

I had quotes from all the internet managers in the Twin Cities area. I wasn't really getting any traction with them. I joined Costco and used their buying service. I ended up getting the car with option two for $500.00 below MSRP. Perhaps not the greatest deal of all time but I'm pretty happy with it.

Of course after I made the deal, everyone that had given me a quote said they could match it. Funny how that works. They could have given me a great price to begin with and saved everyone a lot of time and trouble.

Good luck with your purchase. I think you will be happy with whatever you decide.