1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Pip on the gauge do you routinely fill your gas tank at?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cary1952, Apr 13, 2006.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Which pip do you routinely fill at and why? Also if you fill at 1 or 2, Please explain why you wait so long. I notice lot of people run out of gas.

I routinely fill at 4 or 5 pips, the lowest I have let it go is down to 3 pips. (About 300 miles driven). I like writing down my mileage figures more often, I like going to the gas station more often, and I am chicken to run out of gas. Those are my reasons for filling slightly earlier.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I fill when the last one starts flashing unless I have a long drive upcoming or anticipate a rise in gas cost. Never filled at more than 3 pips.

As to "why", I guess I'd put that to you. There's no danger...in fact, the most I've ever put in my tank is about 9.8 gallons...that means there was at least 2 gallons left in the tank and probably a good 75-100 miles of driving....that's 2-3 days of commuting. I've never run out of gas with 42k miles on the car over 2.5 years.

I wait to fill b/c my time is valuable and standing at a gas pump to fill a tank unnecessarily early is a waste of that time and leads to no benefit. One of the benefits of the Prius is the ability to drive farther than other cars b/w fill ups and then put less gas in the tank than other cars when you do stop. I enjoy going 10 days b/w fill ups...I usually have 3-5 fills per month depending upon whether there are any long trips.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I normally look at miles driven, not gauge pips, if I FILLED the tank at the last stop. 10 gallons worth of miles has worked so far.

If I only add a token amount due to price or not having enough gas cards on me, I think 2 pips is about the time I make sure I get some more. I know there's plenty left at that point, but better safe than sorry...

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I usually fill up on the first commute home once it reaches two bars. I only fill up on the way home, never in the morning if I can avoid it. My commute is only 15 miles and there are gas stations near home, near work and halfway between. If the guage gets down to one bar, which rarely happens, I stop at the next gas station, even if it's during my morning commute.

I don't think I've ever gotten to the flashing bar or seen the "Add Fuel" on my Prius. However, I have seen it on my wife's Prius. She's a lot more lax about getting gas.

5. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done 3 fills so far and I have done them with 3 pips left... only because I've seen so many people here run out of gas. I don't think I've had to pump more than 7.5 gallons. With my '88 Stanza, I had it for so long that I knew exactly how much gas I had left at any time, so I could run it right down to the warning light. There are so many gas stations in close proximity in the boroughs of NYC that I've never had much cause for worry. I would never let it run down that much on a road trip while in unfamiliar territory.

6. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I fill-up at the next opportunity when the last pip is flashing. I generally put in exactly 10.0 gallons. This makes calculating tank and cumulative fuel economy easy. I don't "push it," knowing that 1 to 2 gallons remain in the tank.

Because I get asked so often how the Prius genuinely performs, I often pull out the current paper spread sheet. People seems to understand more easily when things are divided by 10 (The US system of measurement, SI, is based on 10). I have greater confidence in my numbers and can look to other explainations when fuel economy goes up or down (cooler or warmer ambient air temperature, seasonal fuel formulation, unusual driving conditions such as more or less city or highway driving and my own driving).

7. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I usually add gas shortly after it goes down to 1 pip. On my commute the nearest gas station is no more than one or two miles away. I have only had the blinking pip and "Add Gas" warning twice. On road trips I start thinking about adding gas after I have been down to two pips for a while and before it goes down to one pip. On the road trips I have been on it usually is never more than 20-30 miles to the next gas station.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cary1952 @ Apr 13 2006, 06:18 AM) [snapback]239044[/snapback]</div>
    I wait until it gets to 2. My reason is....What's the point of having a car that can go 400+ miles per tank when you fill it earlier? :) Now, sometimes I fill earlier, either because gas is cheaper that day or I'm about to go on a long trip.

9. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 13 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]239047[/snapback]</div>
    Be careful... the forums are riddled with posts from people who ran out of gas after making that same assumption.

10. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like to try and watch gas prices in my area and fill up before price hike. www.gasbuddy.com is very handy for that. So be it 7 pips or 1 I try to stay ahead of the bump up.

11. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(landstander @ Apr 13 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]239115[/snapback]</div>

Good warning. That is exactly what happened to me last Friday. I had read many posts saying there are about 2 gallons left when the fuel gauge is down to the last pip. Since I have been getting about 47 mpg, I figured I was okay when I drove onto the Causeway, a 26 mile long bridge over Lake Pontchartrain, near New Orleans. Actually, there were 2 pips when I got on the bridge, tho I knew the second to last one was soon to go. Sure enough, it disappeared about two miles or so onto the bridge, and then the last pip starting blinking about 4 or 5 miles onto the bridge. I figured I was still okay, because I only had another 20 miles or so to get to the south shore and off the bridge, where there is a gas station nearby.

Man, was I wrong. About 4 or 5 miles before the end of the bridge, my system started to shut down, then came to a complete halt after a mile or less of running just on the battery. This is a very dangerous bridge because there is no shoulder. If you stop, there's no where to go but in the lane where you stop. Just since January, two men and a little boy have been killed because they were rear ended after stopping and pushed thru the side rail and into the lake. A few days before I ran out of gas, another man was also pushed into the lake, but he survived. Thus, I had no choice but to let the Causeway police push me to the end of the bridge (because of the serious risk to people's lives, they will not let you wait for a tow truck if your vehicle can be pushed).

Anyhow, I don't intend to let my fuel gauge ever again get below 2 pips. Also, I wonder how people come up with the calculation that there are 2 gallons left at the last pip, unless the tank has more gas at the last pip relative to the amount for each of the other pips, which I realize many cars do. But my experience makes me think that maybe it is more evenly distributed for a Prius, and that, dividing 11.9 gallons by 10 pips, the last pip has closer to 1.2 gallons, tho even that appears according to my experience. Even if I only had 1.2 gallons left when the last pip started blinking, I should have easily been able to make it another 20 miles.

Gary
    2006 Super White

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wait until im at 2 pips

13. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cary1952 @ Apr 13 2006, 06:18 AM) [snapback]239044[/snapback]</div>
    I try to be refilled before I get to the second pip. In my previous car (Honda Accord), if you got down to within what looked like a tenth of a tank, you are just about out of gas. I suspect that the Prius gauge is similar. Better safe than sorry. ;)

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In almost 20,000 miles of driving, I have never refueled the car before the last bar started flashing. I have yet to run out of gas. The car took anywhere from 9.25 to 10.75 gallons when I filled her up.

15. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I usually refill at the 2 bars remaining level. My commute is about 90 miles round trip and I like to use my local gas station whenever possible. Refilling with 2 bars remaining ensures that I won't have to fill up at a higher priced stations across the state line.

16. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Apr 13 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]239135[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto for me! But, I don't use gasbuddy.com since our town is so small. Once you see a gas increase at one station, you'll see it at all the others in a matter of hours. I can say though, I rarely drop below 3 pips...don't want to run out of gas in the middle of the desert. B)

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I fill at one pip. That way I get an idea of my mpg on a 'tank'.

I certainly fill when the pip starts blinking. I have no idea how much gas is left, although I have trouble putting in more than 9 gallons. I still don't want to take any chances, based on others experiences of running out of gas.

18. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I hate gas stations. I try to go there as little as possible so:

I fill up at 1 blinking pip, or within 15 miles of it whenever possible.
    If I am right at a Shell or other favored gas station I might fill up at 1 pip, to save a trip.
    When traveling and I am not sure where the next open station is going to be I may fill up early at 2 or 3 pips when I am way in the country.

I might fill at 2 pips when local, due to forecast weather conditions so I don't have to do it in a snowstorm etc.

And if my car takes less than 10 gallons I feel like an idiot for filling so early! This happens a lot since I get 10 gal in guaranteed only when I get to 1 pip flashing!

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(landstander @ Apr 13 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]239115[/snapback]</div>
    Mind you, I've never driven more than about 50 miles after the last pip started flashing and I do NOT recommend 'pushing it' as there are certainly a lot of variables. But there are only one or two accounts of people running out of gas within a few miles of the last pip starting to flash.

Also, as you gain experience with the car and become comfortable with the actual range and actual fuel economy compared to the display and become more comfortable with exactly how much gas is in the tank you can, safely, start to push the distance.

20. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    About halfway down for me, timed for when I'm in one of the other towns with better fuel prices (about 30c/gallon better!). Those towns are 20, 25, and 35 miles away. If I can put in five gallons or more, I'm happy.