1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Prius for me?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Pasaman, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I wanted to post this in 3 forums but chose this since it is more neutral (maybe?).

I am living in Southern California but moving to New Mexico in a few weeks. I am 100% sold on a Prius. Now the big question: which model?

I will be renting a home at first and purchasing one in the near future. I have considered the PiP, the lift back and the C. My commute will be about 12 miles each way of which about 7 is freeway and 5 are surface streets to and from the highway. I have a son but he will not be in this car all that much. Our other car is a honda fit and we travel with him in that car usually. I am 6'0" tall. My budget is enough to make all options a possibility of around $30k. I will put around $10-$12k down.

C: very tempting to get a fully loaded C. I really like moonroofs and heated seats. I'm not 100% sold on the softex but it at least looks much nicer than the ugly two tone seats. Lowest cost probably. Downside is the smaller space and I like the looks of the lift back and PiP better.

Lift back: considering the three with solar roof package. Again love the moonroof and the solar tech. Would have a bit more room than the C but I am not positive I need it. Would cost around the same as the PiP after I got the rebates/refunds on the PiP but the overall price would be lower up front since I don't have row ain't for rebates/refund. Downside is no heated seats on three I think?

PiP: love the extra battery range and heated seat. Love the tech behind the PiP. May be able to go near all electric at times since my work offers charging. If only it came with a moonroof. Downside is I pay more upfront and get rebates/refunds. My 60 months payments would be higher but do eventually get $4k back.

I know this is all subjective so only I can make the decision. But what would you do in my shoes?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your son would grow into a Liftback/PIP, not grow out of a c. (This assumes you keep cars for decades, like me. Someday he will be 6 foot as well)

The c will have better mileage on streets, the liftback on freeways and the pip best on both. If this was December, the PIP would be a no brainer, but now it will be eleven months for those rebates. (I am unsure what state rebates you get if you move during the year)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip is a blast. you should try to get them to charge one up so you can take it for a long ev drive and see if that beats the thrill of a moonroof. how much will electricity cost in nm? is it free at work? all the best!(y)

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There isn't too much logic to this, it's a purely emotional or subjective opinion.

I can really only afford to maintain one vehicle at a time. So my previous vehicle WAS a Honda Fit. Great little compact, great little car. But when it came time to get "A Prius" I specifically did NOT choose the Prius c because it was so similar in size and layout to the Honda Fit. I personally like a little change between vehicles, and I thought I'd constantly be comparing the Prius c to the Honda Fit.

So just to get a little more size, and a little more difference, I'd go with a regular Prius.

Your driving habits would really favor a PiP. But either would be the direction I would go in.

Also if you are keeping The Fit.....nice idea, you might not think you need it today, but with a son? A vehicle with a little more room might be nice to have. I don't know how old your son is, but eventually or now, there will be transporting friends, sports equipment etc.

So even though there is not too much logic to it, that's why I would recommend either the PiP or a "Standard" Prius.

5. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I can charge at work for free. I need to look into the ca rebate

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i live 7.2 miles from work and charge there free. my kwh rate is .16, so i pay .50 for a charge at home and nothing at work. if you figure 56 mpg with the liftback, that's four round trips/gallon or around $3.50. at 12 miles per charge, (i get 15-16 in summer, but ymmv) you can save about $1.50 or 37 cents per day. that's about $100. per year just for commuting plus whatever other charging you do to throw into the equation.

7. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    If it was me, I would drop the C from the list as while it looks cute, I would want the 2nd car to provide some different functionality and the C is too close in size and function to the Fit.

I would look hard at a Prius v as I end up wanting to carry a lot of big stuff in the vehicle for quite some time after any move.

When you move that kind of distance you often find that a lot of trips back to see family and friends. I'd rather be doing such trips in the Liftback, Plug in or v rather than the C or the Fit.

I would also look at how much the Plug in would save me in running costs, particularly if you get free charging at work.

Finally I would look at whether one car is an option. That's the real money saver if you can make it work for you.

8. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I really wish I could make one car work but with a 7 month old at home with mom all day and me at work I really need two cars.

I am strongly leaning towards a lift back. The larger battery and free charging would be nice on the PiP but I would have to wait a year for the federal refund and I'm not even sure I'd get the CA rebate.

My payments for the lift back will be about $75 per month less than the PiP.

The lift back three doesn't have heated seats does it?

9. Hapa DC5

Hapa DC5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IIRC, heated seats only on the four and above.

VS980 4G ?

10. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Remember the Federal rebate is not a rebate, it's a tax deduction of $2500 off your federal tax bill. So you don't get money back, you just pay less in Federal tax.
    If it were me, I would get a regular Prius 4, the power seat will make for a more comfortable drive.

11. Nora

Nora Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Federal tax credit, not a deduction, which may be what Munpot42 meant. So you will pay $2.5k less in federal taxes (a tax credit), not have $2.5k less taxable income (a tax deduction). Of course, you have to have at least $2.5k in federal tax liability, which for me is not a problem. ;)

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, if you've already paid the tax, you get a rebate.;)

13. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I paid a boatload of taxes so I think I'd get the cash

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cash is king.

15. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I ended up getting a blizzard pearl PiP. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. After the ca rebate and the federal tax credit I will end up paying much much less than a prius three. Probably about as much as a one.

16. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The cheapest car would be the best option. Then you could spend the 10 or 15,000 saved on a new TV + surround sound stereo + still have some left over for the 401K or college fund.

That said I would buy a Versa Note hatchback for 13,000 or Ford Fiesta hatch for 15,000 or Prius c for 20,000. (NO WAY would I spend $30,000 for the plugin... overpriced.)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the PHV! It may not have the solar panel moonroof but at least you can pre-cool the cabin with the A/C button on the remote while the car is plugged in.