1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Prius should I buy? Need your help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by docproteus, Aug 30, 2010.

1. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking at 2 used Prius vehicles to purchase from private parties and can't decide which way to go. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

#1 is a powder blue 2009 touring with leather seats. 16K miles. First 10k as a dealer car and next 6k with original owner. Dealer maintained and still under 3/36 warranty. Has all the bells and whistles plus nav. Excellent condition. Asking $18K

#2 is a silver 2008 touring with cloth seats. 71K miles. Original owner and car has been dealer maintained at all regular intervals and with all records. Remainder of 6 yr/100,000 mile warranty can be transferred. Less than 10k miles on tires and a set of winter tires included as well (I live in the NE). Has the same bells and whistles as car #1 but not the navigation. Asking $13750

I can afford both, but would rather not spend the extra 5k unless it's worth it. That said, I'd probably be extending the warranty on car #1 in a year or so, so something to consider there. Vehicle condition on both is very good cosmetcally and otherwise so it's somewhat of a draw there.

Any thoughts?

2. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just went thought some similar considerations. A quick question: Have you owned a Prius before?

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be more apt to go with #1 just because of the lower mileage. But it really depends on how you feel about spending the extra $5K.

You didn't list the actual price of either, but for comparison purposes, there is a local dealership advertising used 2008 Prius for $11,900 and 2009 Prius for $13,900. I'm assuming these are Prius II or equivalent models that are probably previous rental cars... I would think that if the price is close and they were not abused then either would be a good deal.

4. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I owned an original for several years.

5. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've looked at some of those but the fleet thing always freaks me out and most of them don't have warranties

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Something else to consider, or at least inquire about, is an extended warranty. I purchased one through the vendor here on PC for $1055, it's 7 years/100K miles with $0 deductible, and it was my understanding it could have been purchased at any time before the original warranty expired. Not sure if that only applies to the original owner, but if not, it might be worth it for the 2009 with one 16K miles. Would give you peace of mind should anything fail after the original warranty expired.

7. Mike_10

Mike_10 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got mine a few weeks ago: 2008 II, 23k miles, $15,300 private party sale in the Boston area. Excellent condition.

Low mileage used cars that are just 1 or 2 years old are a great buy I think. You save considerable compared to new. That's why I would go for #1 that you mention.

#2 is a bit more risky. If you get screwed and need to repair #2 for $2-3K, it would mean stress for me, BUT that's still cheaper than #1.

So, it's a toss up.

(I would have liked leather in mine... and nav: so again #1!)

8. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, would be planning on that