1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which screen for mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by orracle, Jun 18, 2007.

1. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This may be a dumb question so please forgive me if it is :blink:

Which screen on the MFD is best for watching your mileage? I always use the bar graph but I have seen so many comments on the engine/arrows screen I wonder if I should be using that. The graph is so easy to glance at while driving and the other one seems to need thought ;) Or maybe I just need training. :D

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jun 18 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]464359[/snapback]</div>
    The dumb question is the one that's not asked. I started with the bar graph but switched to the other one some time ago as I feel it gives more precise feedback. I don't know if they have the same lag. Give both a try and see what works best for you.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

I use the energy screen for the majority of my driving time. I will sometimes check the consumption while driving, but usually I will "hold out" and just check the consumption screen at the end of my trip.

(of course if my trip is longer than 30min. I will flip back and forth)

5. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The energy monitor screen gives the opportunity to get continuous feedback from the car showing the impact of driving techniques, so using it can help quickly develop more fuel efficient driving methods and a better feel for how the car uses energy in relation to road conditions and driving style. The consumption screen is better for the 'long term' view of fuel efficiency, and while the 'instant' bar graph can certainly show the impact of driving techniques, the absence of energy use information removes the most effective element of the feedback.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jun 19 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]464569[/snapback]</div>
    Then once you develop those methods, you'll ask the same question again.

I'm close to 139,000 miles of Prius driving experience now. Knowing what the system is doing doesn't require my eyes anymore. After awhile, you just become one with the hybrid. So my question is... How long does it take for others to reach the same experience level? By studying the inner workings of the Prius, you tend to pick up the concepts quicker.

7. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 18 2007, 07:20 PM) [snapback]464373[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Doc. I am entering Stage 3 and want to understand the energy graphs. I was hoping my husband would
    take the pages I've printed out with the different screens and interpret as we motor along but no luck so far. :(

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I usually leave mine on the tuberculosis screen. No, wait a minute, I think Toyota calls it "consumption". Maybe Evan can explain why all Prius have tuberculosis. ;)

Tom