1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Screen To you use as the Default ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 18, 2004.

?
  1. Navigation Display

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Energy Display Consortium

100.0%
  3. Other....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. macreative

macreative New Member

I realize that some Prius owners do not have the Nav system; however, which screen do you leave on as the Default Screen during normal driving?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Energy screen on both Prius.

3. Batavier

Batavier Member

Energy Monitor, and second most used is to one where you can see what your energy consumption was in the last 30 mins.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    energy for the first 10k. now I just use consumption as I'm very familiar with the energy flows without looking and when I'm wrong it is inconsequential. I wish the screens were combined or at least toggled at the steering wheel like the newer ones are. Apparently Toyota made this change moments after mine was built. The energy screen is not exactly accurate as it does not always indicate when the engine is on. So on my wish list you can add engine on indicator and hybrid stage indicator.

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The NAV... I always want to know where I'm at... :lol:

Bob Andersen

7. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

consumption. i would have an accident if i left the energy screen up all the time, trying to trace the arrows.

8. DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs Junior Member

Navigation screen almost always, with icons for ATM and gas stations (in case...)

9. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    consumption mostly, however, i toggle back and forth...

10. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Consumption, mainly - it stops me driving too fast! :)

Energy for low-speed driving, when I want to know how the battery feels.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreed. I'm the same way. When I'm driving normally, it's Consumption. But when I'm in the 'burbs and want to stealth as much as possible, I watch the battery level to see what I can get away with before the ICE will kick in.

12. rflagg

rflagg Member

Same as Ray - Energy (or "arrows" screen) for first 10k, now always on the Consumption screen - unless of course traffic is bad and I need a reroute, or don't know the area, then it's definately nav.

When the remnants of Ivan hit us in DC, I had XM instant traffic and weather on my radio and the Nav screen up to track the tornado sightings on my way home (including one I had to stop along side of).

-m.

13. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumption unless I'm climbing or descending a hill, or in any other situation where I want to know battery charge or instantaneous MPG.

If I'm driving on a long trip, I use map for my ETA.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just got mine yesterday. Used the Nav, without fully understanding how to use it all. It kept wanting me to head south while I was sticking to the more straight route we used going to the dealer. I couldn't safely figure out how to see where it was trying to direct me while I was driving. Normally I would ask the original Nav Lady to figure it out for me but my wife was following in the car we drove to the dealer :)

Other than learning how to use it, I won't be on the Nav screen much as most of my driving is done in the local area and I know the roads well enough.

I use both energy and consumption. The first in situations where I know I will be able to get into stealth. Otherwise I watch the leaves grow :)

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I toggle around mainly between Consumption and Nav Map. I am using Energy to pare the M.P.G. , this has been a tough tank. I am not up to 52.3 but that is down from the previous 2 tanks and I am not coping well.

16. lucyjeanne

lucyjeanne New Member

Consumption screen. I have become so anal about keeping the MPG UP.

When I am lazy and drive "normally," my MPG runs around 46-48. Then I monitor that right side of the Consumption Screen, with its green band, and I tap my foot on the gas pedal accordingly--and, voila!. I raise my MPG to 50 -52!

I have become such a dull person-- controlled by my Consumption Screen..... But I love the "payoff!"

Happy Prius driving!

17. krooster1234

krooster1234 New Member

I guess I"m wierd.... I always have the audio screen up, for the satellite radio descriptions.

18. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Krooster, it's because your the youngster here LOL

19. Chuck Haines

Chuck Haines New Member

I keep the energy consumtion screen displayed with the NAV Lady working in the background if I'm familar with the route or destination. I find the energy display keeps me more focused on driving habits to improve gas mileage. If I had XM Radio installed I suspect it would be displayed most of the time.

I also have a Garmin SP2610 GPS device which I use 99.9% of the time I'm in the car. While the NAV Lady has a more eye pleasing graphics display, the SP2610 is definitely more accurate in terms of:

- Miles to next turn and final destination.

- Time to next turn and final destination.

- ETA at destination

- Picking a faster route

With the exception of the SP2610 often picking a faster route, the difference in time or mileage is slight. The SP2610 will indicate the next turn is in 3.7 miles and the NAV Lady always rounds up and says 4 miles. The NAV Lady ETA time generally reflects 2 or 3 minutes more time than the SP2610. The two most amazing SP2610 features is the ETA at work or home is within 1 minute 99% of the time and 2 minute accuracy with 99.9% of the time when you are ready to start driving. One nice feature of the NAV Lady is she will tell you the Exit Number or the Interstate name. The 2610 will only say exit right in 1.7 miles, 700 feet, etc. he SP2610 will tell you whether or not the destination address is on the right or left side of the street which the NAV Lady does not indicate.

The accuracy of the destination is almost the same with the SP2610 and the NAV Lady. I generally find both unites are off by a couple of hundred feet. I believe this is a built in error for consumer GPS units.

I drive 23 miles to/from work and almost always the the estimated gas mileage will hit 50.3 but I wind up with 48 to 49 and slight change. Actual gas mileage calculated at home reflects 46-47 MPG with 4,000 miles. It will be interesting to see the average MPG if I ever drive more than 30 minutes or so.

20. rflagg

rflagg Member

The only time the nav lady in the prius gives you where the destination is located (left or right side of road) is when she finalizes the route guidance by saying "Your destination is ahead on the (right/left)", which is sometimes hard to notice.

-m.