1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

which should I get rid of?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pshady, Aug 14, 2004.

1. pshady

pshady New Member

in preparation for my prius, I have to decide which of two cars to sell...... I' have:

1996 GMC Jimmy SLT 4WD with 69K miles
    1998 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with 88K miles

I don't really like the Jimmy (the way it drives, looks), but it has low miles so I could theoretically drive it for longer before having to buy another car. My love the Audi, but it's getting older in terms of miles and I've heard the horror stories of $$$ repairs (I recently had to replace a brake controller for $1200). So which one should I sell? The Jimmy has also very poor crash test ratings (and no passenger side airbag, not to mention it's an SUV), and I'm concerned about that.

Thanks for your opinions and advice.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Other factors -

• Personally, I would be concerned about the lessor safety features in the GMC. And, since it is a gas hog and you don't like the way it drives, it doesn't seem like the better choice. Of course, I have no idea what the repair costs are on an A4.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Do you need 4WD. Bad weather. Driving off road. Towing. Hauling stuff. If the answer is yes then keep the GMC. I kept my Ford Explorer for the all of these. Western Washington uses the God method of snow removal. God put it there and God will take it away. In the mean time I have to get to work day or night. I also camp and fish and go on logging roads. So the Beast stays for those uses.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a hard decision when financial situations step in. I would just sell both and get two prius. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't be too concerned with mileage. I had an 87 lincoln that was running strong after 237,000+ miles. Your two cars will have lives as long as these if not longer. I would imagine the audi lasting longer because less stress put on the engine while cruising. SUV's have to work a little harder.

As for price of repair. I have a 318I bmw.. can't get rid of the damned thing.. and i don't want to touch it because every little part cost too much. So, i see where you are coming from when it breaks down to repair cost.

It all comes down to this. Do you NEED the suv? some people use them when they get them for SUV needs.. but later on they become useless. We have an expedition.. we use it for snow boarding and so on.. but all day long, i drive my prius. How about the performance? do you need the Audi performance or will the prius do? the prius does handle fairly well for a mid size hybrid.

You did complain about the GMC though.. which makes me think you use it less.. and have even less need to use it when you do. My guess is you put things in the GMC because you don't want to stick them in your Audi.

I would still sell both and get two Prius :mrgreen: hehe.. sell the GMC

5. pshady

pshady New Member

I don't need the utility of the GMC, as the Prius will have enough room as a hatchback. I'm just wondering which of the two used cars will last longer and be less expensive to operate over the next few years.

I love the Audi, but the though of high repair bills keep me up at night. The GMC is also not the most reliable vehicle, but appears to be cheaper to repair.

Also, I can get $11 or 12K if I sell the Audi, vs. about $6K if I sell the GMC right now.

6. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

It sounds like you have answered your own question. I had a friend (not buying a Prius) who had to choose between selling an Accord and a pickup. He wanted to keep the pickup to haul things. I pointed out to him that he hauled things about twice a year, so it would be better to sell the pickup and rent one at U-Haul for $20/day next time he had haulage.

-gehri