1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which should I keep: Mercedes S124 300TD or Prius Gen 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ScotlandTim, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ScotlandTim

ScotlandTim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, seeing as no one bought it when I tried to sell it I've got the old merc back on the road and fixed the fuel problem (Changing the syphon in the tank, draining it, changing all filter seemed to fix it)

Dilemma is: Do we keep the almost new Toyota Prius Gen 2, which should run trouble free for many years, or sell it and keep the 124 which already has 264000 on the clock and probably will cost a fair bit to keep on the road.

I much prefer the merc. My heart says merc, buy my head Prius - what would you do? We can only keep one car.

I think my minds made up, what would you do ...

2. ScotlandTim

ScotlandTim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ON that note anyone in UK wanting to buy either a prius or a merc, then let me know!! Could help the decision making!

3. ScotlandTim

ScotlandTim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For your interest:

4. ScotlandTim

ScotlandTim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Funny! The Mercedes will bankrupt you very quickly! They are NOT known for reliability, especially when they get old!

But do what you are comfortable with. It's your money!

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's matter of operating and owning costs, you know the Merc and costs of owning/operating a Prius are easy enough to find. Run the numbers.

If cost isn't the deciding factor, keep whichever lights your candle.:cool:

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Keep the Prius and as the Merc is so old it'll be next to worthless (esp with that mileage) you may as well keep it as a summer/weekend car. Tax it for 6 months over the summer and bung it on a classic car policy for limited mileage. The fuel savings you make with the Prius should cover the expense of keeping the old Merc.

Best of both worlds. (and no I don't want to buy it! lol)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not this one. I believe this particular generation is fairly reliable and robust. Yes parts can be expensive but they're generally not needed. I think it's the more recent ones that have been less than stellar (particularly when they merged with Chrysler.. not that I'm saying Chrysler had anything to do with it).

Tough call. While the Prius is certainly better on emissions, that 300TD will keep running and running and plus you can run on chip fat to help lower emissions (and I think it's tax free? can't remember all the UK laws). The wagon can haul more than the Prius too.

If anything, I'd say sacrifice now for gains later. IOW, sell the Prius and get a good chunk of money back. Use that money to save up for a plug-in Prius, an EV or whatever goodies come down the road a few years later (assuming the Merc doesn't eat too much into it).