1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which side does the gas fill up go ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wtfjr, Nov 18, 2007.

1. wtfjr

wtfjr New Member

I recently read an email where in it said that, when sitting in any car, you can always tell which side of the car to fill with fuel by looking at the gas pump symbol on the dash & the side of the pump that the hose is shown will be the side to fill from.
    Not so on the Prius, which I just discovered. The hose is on the right side of the pump !
    But, there is an arrow to the left of the dash gas pump which does point to the left, the side to fill from.
    Is this really old news ? If so, please no flaming. If not - HURRAH !!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never heard the hose part before...I've always just looked for the arrow.

3. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally, I just look for the gas cap door. :p

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Nov 18 2007, 08:15 PM) [snapback]541414[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Me too!

5. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've never heard the gas pump symbol story. All the symbols I've seen have the hose on the right. All the cars I've had that have an indication used an arrow.

6. Sitting Duc

Sitting Duc Feathered Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've heard two variants on the hose theory; the first being the side of the hose = the side of the car, as the OP suggested; and the second being if the fuel gauge is left of the speedo, then the cap is on the left of the car, and right for right.

I've also found that this theory does not apply consistently, so you have to stop and look for the flap anyway.

At least my prius has an arrow :)

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a few different car in my work. I pull the release then look for the flap in the side mirrors.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I used to travel for business extensively and always looked to the gas gauge to determine what side the gas lid was on. Just about any business traveler will tell you that when you are on the way to the airport on a Friday afternoon, you do not want to have to jockey the car around the gas station trying to top off the tank.

With what I consider very few exceptions, I believe that it is pretty consistent that the gas symbol is on the same side of the gauge as the lid is on the car. For those - such as the Prius - where it is not, I have seen arrows pointing.

Where I did find considerable inconsistency was in the functionality of wipers, headlights, and other assorted steering wheel stalk functions.

9. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    honestly I dont remember, because I dont even remember the last time I filled up! Prius FTW!

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Here's a somewhat-related factoid some may find interesting...

The exhaust tailpipe is (AFAIK) always on the opposite side of the car in relation to the fuel door, except of course when said car has duel exhaust pipes. ;) Presumably, I would imagine this is done to distance a source of heat from flammable fumes... :eek:

Check it out... B)

11. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

That was one of the tappet brother's quiz's. Funny.
    ss

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had never noticed the little gas pump icon before. Today, after reading this thread, I looked for it. The pump handle on the icon is opposite the fuel filler. The little arrow points towards the filler.

But whenever I rent a car I just look to see which side the filler door is on.