1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Systems are altered with failing Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by promises3218, Aug 9, 2021.

1. promises3218

promises3218 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently received an error code (P0AFA) for my 2008 Prius. I want to know what other systems can be affected by this. Trying to determine whether replacing the hybrid system will correct the other odd situations that are or may show up. Long and sad scenario about my beautiful car. Much appreciation for any words of wisdom. Might the 12V battery need to be replaced? HELP

2. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am clueless as to how to use this website/chat program. I would love to know where to look for responses. FYI I have a cousin that suggested I go through HybridBattery911 like he did earlier this year for his 2007 Prius.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Here is the workup for DTC P0AFA : https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2019/02/161942_2006_Prius_RM_-_DTC_P0AFA_Inspect_Proc.pdf
    It should auto-notify you, or you can check this thread for responses, and you can also edit your 'Alerts' settings to email you as well.
    Or, if you have a DIY attitude, you could check the ECU and harness for corrosion, then clean or swap as needed.

How many miles on the vehicle, and do you have any interior leaks?

When was the 12v battery last replaced, or what is the measured voltage at the jump points under the hood?

FYI : you posts are being moderated until you've posted five times.

#3 SFO, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    promises3218 likes this.
  4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, might be. It can be tested.

And MUCH cheaper than tearing into the hybrid battery system.

promises3218 likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The code you have, P0AFA (the round thing is a zero, not a letter O), indicates a problem with the wiring arranged inside the traction battery to monitor its condition. Those problems aren't uncommon in an older traction battery, and they are not the same as the traction battery failing and needing replacement. (That also can happen, of course, but it hasn't happened to you yet.) Fixing this kind of thing can call only for an inexpensive wiring harness, or at worst a slightly-less-inexpensive ECU. (And well-studied high voltage precautions, to make sure you're around to enjoy the result.)

But are there some untold stories behind your post? Do you have "other odd situations that are" showing up?

6. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you for your input, ChapmanF. The 0 versus O is important. Wish you were my neighbor.
    I do not know what DTC stands for - one of these? DTC: Detector Test Console: DTC: Dumb Terminal Connection That link means nothing to me, but I can share, if beneficial. . I will attempt to edit my 'Alerts' settings, if need be. I would have a DIY attitude, but I am in health survival mode - medical untruths for nearly 30 years, hence why I am 250 miles west of the east coast of NC where my car is. The car has about 130,700 miles on it. How would I know or check for interior leaks? 12v battery replacement - the battery was replaced by the previous owner in 9/14. I have the receipt and called the Toyota dealership parts department where this service was done. It is a Toyota 325 amp cold cranking. This parts man recommended that I only use the Toyota 12v battery if mine needs to be replaced. Is this true? I called the local dealership where the car is. That parts department man recommended the Toyota 12v325 cold cranking 67rc battery. Said it was $241.44. Does this sound true? Who do you believe? A DieHard 12v would not be good? Your question about the measured voltage at the jump points under the hood, does this mean the current 12v battery under the backseat? The friend that has my 2008 Prius will take it to my trusted self employed mechanic tomorrow morning to check the condition of my 12v battery. Please educate me in as basic terminology as possible. I want what's best for my car.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When talking about car onboard diagnostics, DTC is an often used term, Diagnostic Trouble Code. DTCs are those five-character codes the car gives you, like P0AFA, when you ask it why it has turned warning lights on.

P0AFA tells you about problems with the voltage sensing arrangements inside the traction battery; this is different from the 12 volt auxiliary battery; the traction battery is larger, and runs across the car behind the back seat. It also has a much higher, deadly voltage.

The conditions that get reported as P0AFA can be fairly straightforward to fix. A DIY attitude is a great thing, but for any work inside the traction battery you have to combine it with taking the high voltage hazards seriously and studying how to protect yourself; it's a bigger deal than working on many other parts of the car.

promises3218 likes this.
  8. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting, ChapmanF. Thank you. I would normally have a DIY attitude, but pretty severe mobility health issues at this time. So, traction battery is another name for the hybrid battery? Let me attach a screenshot of the diagnostic test findings from the dealership. The mechanic that first looked at it, it not a hybrid car mechanic. Is replacing the hybrid battery not necessary or will this take care of the P0AFA? As mentioned, my cousin recommended HybridBattery911. Yesterday I spoke with the previous owner about the 12v battery he had replaced in 9/2014. So, almost 7 years at this point. The mileage was 91K when that battery was replaced. During that conversation he shared that a family friend had used Green Bean Battery for a replacement. In doing a little reviews search, two posting on PriusChat mentioned Green Bean Battery. Do you know about either company? I am still waiting to hear how my 12v battery checked out this morning. My Prius is 250 miles away from me, but a trustworthy friend has it.

upload_2021-8-11_11-53-1.png

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which city and state is the vehicle nearest, maybe there is a member here who can help you.
    Here is a glossary thread that can be found in the 'Newbie Forum' sub : PriusChat Glossary | PriusChat

Or a different version in the Gen2 "Main" sub : Acronyms and Abbreviations Glossary | PriusChat
    Unless the trusted mechanic is already proficient with hybrids, that link could help identify the problem in a timely fashion.
    If you notice excess moisture forming inside the windows after the vehicle sits, or when it rains. You may also find standing water in either of the rear cubbies on the left or right side (which contains the 12v battery) of the trunk, and there may also be water in the spare tire well.
    That battery could be getting long in the tooth, though some dealer batteries will last for quite a long time. Replacing with a dealer battery is not be needed (assuming it actually needs replacing), but sometimes you do get what you pay for in terms of quality.
    The quoted price is within the ballpark. You might call around to other dealerships and see how much it would cost with or w/o the install.
    The diehard product should be just as good as any other random battery. Some will say to avoid the Optima battery. Try to buy the battery with the longest "free" warranty exchange (usually 2 to 5 years), don't fall for just the prorated exchange warranty. Some members have even used a $25 tractor, or a $100 wheel chair battery when money is tight or when looking for a larger amp hour option. Here is a thread that may help : Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat
    Yes, the 12v battery in the right rear corner of the vehicle (just in front of the rear taillight) is connected to a positive "jumper point" inside a fuse box that is under the front hood of the car (just above the drivers side tire). I'm sure the mechanic can figure it out.
    If the vehicle still powers up with the existing 12v (don't see where is hasn't), the mechanics time might be better spent diagnosing the underlying failure for the reported single DTC above (P0AFA). This entails gaining access to the HV battery and inspecting the tiny voltage sense wires, bus bars, and the battery ECU (Electronic Control Unit) socket/connector for corrosion. You can expect 2+ hours for labor depending on the tools and skill level. Once the problem is located, the fix shouldn't take much time to clean up, and if parts are needed, a new sense harness is 60ish and the used ECU is around 100.

There is 'maintenance schedule' in the glove box (or should be), or the dealer could likely print something out. You can also find some of the manuals online, as well as the dealer service history : 2008 Toyota Prius Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

Going forward and wanting what's best for your car, do you already know the maintenance history? (dealership or otherwise)

You may want to dive deeper into the forums, or if the curve is too much, post in here : What services you need and what you don't | PriusChat

What is the oil change interval at, and what oil and filter are you using?

Are you buying 'top-tier' gas, or have you ever used an additive with Techron, Regaine, or a similar product before?

There are some big ticket items you can protect by servicing (assuming they haven't been already), you should drain/fill the transaxle fluid, and swap in a new water pump belt, both jobs should take well under an hour. If the coolant in the engine and in the inverter haven't been changed, now would also be a good time. Then you might consider a brake fluid change (might be a gamble), and also having the AC properly serviced by a qualified tech. Would also recommend cleaning up the HV battery fan, especially if you have hippies or furries in the vehicle. The list could go on.. have you already inspected or replaced the cabin filter?

promises3218 and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You threw several comments after a quote from ME that I had nothing to do with.

A 7 year old 12 V battery is suspect.
    I suggest that you let a dealer put in a new one for you and don't fret about trying to save a few pennies.
    The prices you quoted seem to be in the reasonable range these days.

11. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just learned this about my 12v battery. 325 amp holding 275 amps. Very interested as to whether the transmission not shifting properly can be due to the failing hybrid system? My longterm NON-hybrid mechanic says it is not. FYI He does not like hybrids. But, he likes me.

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And he would likely be WRONG......because your car does not even HAVE what either of you think of as a "transmission".

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes.

The screenshot shows the mechanic has misinterpreted the DTC. That's not uncommon, because DTCs have these terse fortune-cookie descriptions listed for them, like "hybrid battery system voltage low", that are pretty much never sufficient by themselves to understand a problem. One has to look the code up in the Repair Manual and find the complete information on what the DTC tells you. Eventually, the fortune cookies might be useful memory jogs for familiar DTCs that you've looked up before, but they're not enough to just run with on their own.

The mechanic figured "voltage low ... oh, the battery has weak cells". But looking up P0AFA in the manual shows that its trigger condition happens to be voltage impossibly low (for a NiMH battery module)—so it isn't saying there are weak cells in the battery, it's saying the built-in sensing circuits can't even tell you about that because they're probably broken.

Response to this sort of battery problem would often be repair of the battery, not replacement. Replacement would probably also make the problem go away, of course, but would be more than is needed.

It's even possible that replacement wouldn't fix this problem, depending on the source of the replacement battery. Some come without the battery ECU, and that's expected to be swapped over. But the battery ECU is one possibility for where this problem could be (if it isn't in the skinny sensing wires of the No. 2 Frame Wire assembly). So if that happened to be the problem and the existing ECU were swapped over, you could find after battery replacement that you still have the problem.

So it would be cheaper and more direct to just check the No. 2 Frame Wire and the ECU, and replace one or both, as necessary.

#13 ChapmanF, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  14. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Sam. I got a quote of $242 for a new Toyota 12v battery from the local dealership where my car is.
    WOW! So much practical info, but a bit overwhelming for me. My car is in Wilmington, NC, info requested earlier. Let me attempt to respond to your questions/comments.
    1-The moisture comments are interesting. No notice of moisture except when the mode motor for the a/c went out in 10/20. This produced condensation when the air direction went from the cabin blowers to the front defroster vents.
    2-I had no idea that there would be a charge to install the 12v battery. Presumed them keeping the other battery would be their pay. I guess I was thinking that the parts department guy would share labor costs.
    3-I guess I need to ask my mechanic whether he actually looked at the 12v battery when testing on Wednesday for voltage versus the under the hood option. I think I understood water could be standing in a spot that he would have seen when accessing the 12v battery.
    4-Maintenance history. Yes, I know its history back to 2/2013.
    5-Oil Change every 5K miles by previous owner. I did it every 3K. I would have to ask my mechanic about the filter and oil brand.
    6-I prefer ethanol free gas. Is that okay for this engine? I was told it was. Shell 93 octane is what I would use. Is this considered top-tier or with an additive?

I heard from one of the reconditioned battery options that Priuses have to be driven to thrive. Drive to Thrive and that many people don't drive enough to own one. This lady is very frustrated with dealerships for not passing this info along. Do they really need to be drive around 600 miles monthly? I am sensing that my car was driving about 2K annually. What an education.

SFO likes this.
  15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really need to stay away from any of those recondition places, unless of course, you don't mind your car breaking down every 6 - 18 months, but he is right about needing to drive it for at least an hour 2-3 times a week.

16. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologizes, Sam. Not intentional.

17. promises3218

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dolj, thank you. They, the reconditioned / remanufactured sources, seem more honest than the local dealership. Hindsight is always 20/20.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... until they have your money, I'll bet.

19. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're only a few hours drive from one our esteemed members - @TMR-JWAP , who could likely help you out in a big way.
    The reason for asking is because water may accelerate the corrosion in the HV battery pack. Also being near the salty coastal areas.
    Swapping the battery out takes time, some do it for nothing, and others like pepboys/autozone/walmart will charge for install. Call ahead.
    Doesn't sound like there is excess water intrusion inside the vehicle, given #1 above.
    Excellent. Knowing what has or hasn't been maintained is the first step.
    You should be fine without asking, just be sure to check the oil level on a level surface between gas fill-ups.
    You will do quite well with 93/E0 from Shell. TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands
    Yes, though dependable gas sippers when being used, they can turn into money pits when left sitting. Seeing as you aren't drving 5-10k+ miles a year, it may be in your best interest to have a conventional vehicle instead.

Raytheeagle likes this.