1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which Water Pumps on the Gen II Prius are the Problematic Ones?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Egg Crate, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Egg Crate

Egg Crate Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which Water Pumps on the Gen II Prius are the Problematic Ones? I know the Prius has multiple water pumps, so I wasn't sure which of these were infamous for breaking. Also, which of the problematic one(s) are covered by the recent water pump recall? Thanks.

2. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The inverter coolant pump (electric) is the subject of the recall. The mechanical engine coolant pump is also known for external leakage; sometimes only a very minor leakage, but will likely require replacement at some point during a Gen II's lifetime.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as Joe said it is the traditional antifreeze water pump that is problematic.
    Sometimes leakage easily seen as pink salts by the belts. Also you may be low on coolant.
    Mine leaked at around 90000 miles but holding now at 132000 miles on orig pump.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would have to add that as pointed out the ICE water pump will exhibit leakage over time. However there are cases where the inverter pump have also failed.

As mentioned check for coolant spray on passenger side of engine bay as well as low coolant in the radiator. Checking the overflow bottle can mislead you. It is best to check the radiator itself. It should be full to the top of the neck.

Concerning the inverter pump, check for flow in the inverter coolant reservoir when the Prius is in "Ready Mode". You should see coolant moving through the bottle when looking at is from the side. Also the fluid is normally higher in the back (close to windshield) than the front when in ready mode. No movement of fluid would be a good indication of a failed inverter pump.

There is also a pump for the heater, but not much mention about problems there.

Plus there is a pump for the "thermos bottle". Some folks complain about the pump making excessive noise, but failures are not often.

Our Gen II had the ICE water pump changed at 76K. Changed the belt at the same time. Inverter pump changed on last recall (spring 2013)

Are all of them problematic? Not especially in my opinion. However to expect all of the pumps to last the lifetime of the car would border on far fetched imo based on data available today. I would say simply be aware of the parts within the confines of your Prius and pay attention for any sudden changes.