1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which wheel does the Speedometer key off of?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aridon99, Feb 8, 2006.

1. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure this is an easy question for the Prius gear heads. So which wheel does the Speedometer key off of on a 04-06 Prius??

Thanks in advance...

John

2. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm, I had assumed it was linked to the transmission, like most cars. 'Like most cars' is not a very smart thing to assume with the Prius, though...

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The brake ECU [which also handles ABS, etc] sends a Vehicle Speed
    output to the speedometer electronics. Exactly how it derives
    that signal from the four wheel-speed sensors is unclear, but I
    would hope that it's an average of at least two of them.
    _H*

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I am betting the poster used to drive VWs, which used a cable keyed to the left front wheel hub. Most other cars have long gone to transmission gear take-offs.

Not planning a Ferris Buehler experiment, are you?

5. Zacher

Zacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Worked great on my '68 Mustang! Parents were gone on vacation, I was grounded from the car (every last bit of which I paid for myself, inc. insurance, gas etc.). I knew my Dad was the mileage checking type, so, appropriate measures were taken. Bailing wire may have been involved.

6. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I seem to recall on my last BMW that the speed sensor was tied to the rear left wheel. Since that car is rear wheel drive, it makes perfect sense.

What I'm trying to do is have the tires soak up more bumps from the crappy broken pavement in my area by changing the tires out to something with a little more rubber.

Since it seems the digital speedometer can't be recalibrated on the Prius, I'm cautious on doing this. So if the speed sensor is on the front tires (front wheel drive), then I'll only increase the rubber on the rear wheels.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Korky-Jr

Korky-Jr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    After changing the front wheel bearings, and having to take off the dust covers that surround the axles going into the steering knuckle from behind, I am learning that these dust covers have to be positioned appropriately to transmit the signal. The sensors. I lost speedometer because I wasn't aware of that. One poster said that both front wheels are involved, the average speed being the display speed. Speed. So now I have to take both Wheels apart again to correctly place the dust covers