1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which will we be able to buy first, the Chevy Volt or the Zap-X?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Mar 15, 2008.

?

Which will we be able to buy first?:

Poll closed Apr 14, 2008.
  1. Chevy Volt

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Zap-X

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    GM keeps promising it's serious about the Chevy Volt. Now they say they're going to begin testing the batteries "real soon now" even though they say they don't know who will build them. I don't believe they'll ever build it, though I hope I'm wrong.

Zap has a history of promising vehicles that never appear. So much so that people in the know were amazed when they did actually bring the Xebra to the U.S. market. Presently they're promising the Zap-X, an electric super-car to rival the Tesla Roadster, but at 1/3 the cost. I think you'd have to have a screw loose to believe it'll ever happen.

So, with two totally unreliable car companies promising a PHEV and an EV, respectively, which do you think we'll be able to buy first? Not who will show a prototype, but who will have a car you and I can buy and drive away in?

2. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I actually chose the Chevy Volt. Am I required to turn in my official PriusChat membership card now? :p

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you were required to believe a certain way there'd have been no point in a poll. Thanks for voting.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about neither?

Here is a link to a company that makes an all-electric conversion: LiVâ„¢ FLASH | Hybrid Technologies . The MINI is allegedly available for immediate purchase/shipment. I haven't taken them up on their offer (of an all electric MINI), so I can't tell whether the 'shipping' claim is real or not. But it would appear there are alternatives to Tesla and Zap.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: How about neither?

Where does it say it's available for purchase? The Mini is not even listed in their list of proposed cars, much less available!

It appears they have built a one-of-a-kind electric conversion of a Mini, for the British embassy in Mexico City, to demonstrate their technology (something even GM has not done with the Volt technology, so they're ahead of GM). But I do not see where they propose to build or sell a conversion kit, and their own cars appear to be still "concepts."

Please post a link to the specific page where they offer a converted Mini to the general public.

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: How about neither?

Here is the order link: Hybrid Technologies They did confirm that they are taking orders and delivering electric MINIs to retail customers.

I enquired about a conversion kit for current MINIs and at the present time, they only sell the MINI that they have converted. Even if they took an existing MINI and converted it themselves, I personally think there is a market they are missing. There are a number of MINIs out there with CVTs that have failed that could be had for basically $5,000 territory (maybe less). Add in a conversion kit plus labor to remove the drivetrain and you are at maybe $30,000 for an electric MINI. I emailed them with that concept, but no response as yet.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I pick Chev over Zap, at least Chev really sell some cars.

As far as I can see Zap only make enclosed trikes for old people to ride around within the retirement home and the local village. More like an alternative to walking with a wheel barrow than an alternative to a car. Oh they sell dreams and faith too. I am not trying to insult those who have purchased Zaps, just saying it how I see it. The Zap is only a very low volume vehicle, with no safety features and only suited to very short journeys. A Zebra's 25 mile range wouldn't get me to work and a maximum speed of 40mph means I would be at the maximum for most of that journey so shortening the range even further. Even if I made it to work and recharged there I couldn't be sure the battery would have enough juice to get up the hill to my home.

In no way am I saying Chev are putting their heart and soul into the volt, I think a company with a staff of thousands would be able to build a bigger team to work on their future. I am saying Zap seem more interested in holding peoples deposit money as long as they can to collect the interest on it.

The technology in the EV1 hasn't vanished so why is it taking so long for anyone, Chev included to reproduce it? Why hasn't it been improved on?

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thank you. I am going to look into this. I hope it's not just another scam artist taking people's money with no product to show for it.

The Zap Xebra is hardly an "old people's car" or a "wheelbarrow." It is not for everybody. But within its range it does very well on city streets. I drive my Prius about 2 or 3 times a month now, and I drive my Xebra nearly every day. With my after-market battery pack it will go 35 miles at the speed limit on city streets. The only time I need any other car is when I go out of town.

Clearly for you the Xebra would not work. But for hundreds of millions of American two-car families, the Xebra would be an ideal second car in place of a second SUV.

The Zap-X is a scam. I picked it for the poll because I think the Volt is a scam also. I don't think we'll ever see either car. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I really hope they are legit as well. Having an alternative to the vapor that GM is spewing would put competitive pressure on GM (and all the other manufacturers that are spinning about their 'new' technology offerings) to finally put up or shut up.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I asked Darell. Here is what he said:

So this is a scam pure and simple! Two years of promising delivery in 90 days and not a single car delivered! (Apparently they built one prototype.)

GM promises they'll build the Volt "some day." Hybrid Technologies will take your money for a non-existent car they will never deliver. The Zap Xebra is a poorly-designed and shoddily-built car, but it's on dealer lots and you can buy it and drive it away (or more realistically, have it shipped to you).

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It really is a shame

I guess if GM can scam the market and get away with it, Hybrid Technologies felt they could do the same. I haven't heard about them getting sued by buyers who put a deposit down and didn't get their car in 90 days, so maybe no orders have been placed either.

It is unfortunate. I think there is an opportunity. Especially for small, relatively lightweight cars like the MINI.