1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which wire is for the mode button on the steering wheel???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by whiterice42019, Sep 23, 2008.

1. whiterice42019

whiterice42019 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an aftermarket radio installed and currently have my EV mode wired to my high beam flasher. Since the install of the aftermarket radio, the radio buttons on the steering wheel are no longer used. Does anyone know which wire do I have to tap into to wire the EV Mode to the Mode button on the steering wheel?

2. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is no direct wire to the mode switch. The radio buttons on the wheel are a single unit which "outputs" a set resistance value interpreted by the audio system as a signal to change mode/volume/etc. I suppose you could wire to the mode switch using the black and green wires, but it would not be an open/closed circuit since it has a resistor to deal with when "open" (see schematic).

Attached Files:

3. whiterice42019

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So I should wire the EV button on the 6 & 8 wires? Also, where are these wires located? Are they on the same harness as where I hooked up my high beam flasher? Another question, is there a way to disable the high beam flash without disabling the highbeam at night time? I like the way the EV button is on the flasher, but hate it at night time because if i want to use the button at night I end up flashing a car in front of me lol.

4. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Coastal EV mod is switched by the cruise control cancel switch, which is easy and doesn't affect normal driving or accessory operations. However it is wired at the ECU behind the glove box, per installation manual. I can't speak for the Toyota factory EV button or how it's connected. I would not choose to wire it to the high beam switch. I think you could wire it to wires 6 and 8 if you could find a way to cut open the resistor above the mode switch. These wires go between the back of the radio and the steering wheel. It's easy to connect behind the factory radio. Is your factory radio removed for the aftermarket radio?

5. whiterice42019

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I dont want to spend the extra $ on the coastal tech mod. My factory radio is still in the same place but both the wireharness and the smaller harness are not connected. So any ideas where the resistor is located? Do I have to take apart the steering wheel to do so? If it comes down to that then I will just buy a $2 radio shack button and mount it somewhere lol.

6. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I would buy a button and mount it in one of the blank panels by the dimmer switch. That's where the factory EV button is mounted in other countries.