1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which year GenII Prius should I buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ckoerner87, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ckoerner87

ckoerner87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am young and married with our first child on the way and we would like to get a second car (Prius). I have been eyeing them for years now and I can't wait to finally make the switch from Corolla to Prius. I am using a guy I know who buys cars at auctions and it looks like I can get an '07 for about 11k or an '08 for about 13k. I've got a few to choose from so that's not a problem. My question is which year should I buy? Is there a year between '06-'09 that is the best for Priuses or is there not much of a difference? I'm really leaning towards an '08 just because they're newer and it should still have a warranty but I'd really like your input. Thanks in advance!

Chris

2. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not much difference. Make your choice on mileage , condition, options, Carfax report, etc.

3. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^What he said.
    I have an 05 and an 08. Both are great. We like the 08 better of course, as it's newer and has the smartkey and iPod hookup.
    Given equal options though, I don't think you'll find much difference between an 07 or an 08.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    07 to 09 Prius are almost identical other than options. I think the 06 was -slightly- different (different MFD screen). The 04 had a few "new car problems". They should have all been addressed by now though. The 05 had them fixed but was essentially the same car.
    There are slight material differences in the cabin, but other than that and as noted above, all Prius are pretty much the same, again, except for options.

Options include:
    Smart key system (SKS) - don't need to get the fob out to unlock the car and to run it. You just keep it in your pocket or purse.
    Vehicle stability system (VSC) - became standard around 05 or 06. Car uses individual brakes to keep the car from "swapping ends" when the driver is inattentive re speed in corners or surprised by slippery road conditions.
    Touring model - slightly stiffer suspension, 16" wheels, longer rear spoiler.
    Cruise control.
    Leather interior (US not Canada).
    Bluetooth cell connection.
    "Fancy" audio system.
    GPS.
    HID or halogen headlamps.
    Fog lamps.
    I've probably missed some, but those are the main ones.

5. ckoerner87

ckoerner87 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys! That was actually really helpful.

Chris
    textbookCROOK.com