1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Which year is best?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by plumabob, Jun 23, 2009.

1. plumabob

plumabob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

This is my first post. Thinking of buying a Prius. Anything I should look out for. Any years better then others? Trouble areas? Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are Consumer Reports' reliability ratings for each year of the Prius (except 2009, which it predicted would be very reliable):

[imglink]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/15459d1244660558-prius-reliability-statistics-stay-away-2004-prius-priusratings.jpg[/imglink]

Here are all the eBrochures for the Gen II Prius. They're very useful for seeing what was standard equipment and what were the different option packages for each model year:

[​IMG] 04_prius.pdf
    [​IMG] 05_prius.pdf
    [​IMG] 06_prius.pdf
    [​IMG] 07_prius.pdf
    [​IMG] 08_prius.pdf
    [​IMG] 09_prius.pdf

Also, these two recent/current threads are worth checking out:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/63816-best-year-2004-2007-a.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...w-tell-if-gen2-has-stability-control-vsc.html

If I were looking for a used Gen II Prius, I'd be looking at the 2006 - 2009 model years, and looking for cars that had at least the following equipment:

1. Vehicle Stability Control
    2. Backup Camera
    3. Front Seat side airbags and Front and Rear side curtain airbags
    4. Aux Input for audio devices

1 person likes this.
  3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like the sound of 1793.

4. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Which year is best? Generally speaking, the most recent year is the best year as gremlins are found and eliminated, systems up-dated, features added, and the like. Any exceptions? As my father, a former DeSoto-Plymouth (r.i.p.) dealer, always counseled me: Beware of the first year of a redesign--it may well have more problems than the last year of the previous design. I'm waiting for the 2011 Prius.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
  6. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

In a house with a mouse, on an island amongst the
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Boo for all the good info. I got an 09. But the info you have heree is really good stuff :)

7. virtualdood

virtualdood New Member

In a house with a mouse, on an island amongst the
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's like anything really. But as far as a little helpful thought: I can say I have NOT driven a 2010. but i do know they have some new bells and whistles that are PRETTY COOL.

The 2010 have selective EV mode. Which is a user override to run all electric for brief spurts.

2010 have a bit more power in a 1.8L motor vs the 1.5L

2010 have a bit better MPG (probably do to larger motor, not sure if reason though)

2010 moved the apex of the curve of the roof back a few inches. I can sit in the back of my 2009 no problem. But i can foresee if there were a car wreck my head could/would hit the top of the roof instead of the seat head rest.

2009 should be reletively less expensive being the older car ;)

All that said i am NOT complaining about my 09 at all. I like nearly everyting about it. To me the 2009 and the 2010 are both excellent. just that i may have missed a couple added things. But really, my G2 offers so much and uses soooo little gas. I'm not hurting with mine :cool:

also if you look on various sites like auto trader you can compare pricing and sometimes features. I didn't relaize all the "levels" of Pirus: 1 to 6 plus various add ons. quite an assortment.

good luck :)