1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

While changing 12V battery, I reversed polarity now car is shut down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brando714, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Brando714

Brando714 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    While replacing the 12V battery, I didnt know which of the cables were positive/negative because both were black, and failed to notice that the connection ring has different diameter size. I took a 50/50 chance with it and ended up touching the negative lead from the car to the positive lead of the battery, and saw some sparks so took it away but the damage was already done. Now nothing turns on and upon checking, and my main fuse is not broken so I ordered the fusible link and am hoping that id the issue. Any experience with this?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure about the extent of the damage that was done, but here's what I do when I remove the cables from the battery terminals.

I always remove the negative cable first and wrap the terminal clamp at the end of the negative/ground cable in a shop towel. Then I remove the positive cable from the battery. Replace the battery, then install in reverse order, positive first, then negative last.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Brando714

Brando714 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Turned out to be the fusible Link block assembly. Was abouy a $90 part off Amazon and they have Youtube vids on how to fix, took about 40 mins. Display and ignition turned on but I got the P2118 Throttle Acutator Code so replaced a 10A fuse under the hood under ETCS. Also, the radio and dome light wouldnt turn on so had to replace the 15A fuse under the hood under Dome ad wrll

SFO likes this.
  4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a lucky day when a screw up like that only damages fuses.

Brian1954 likes this.