1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, I am not whining...my Prius is. It is a subtle, that is to say not loud, noise that does not rise above road noise above 35 mph or so. It rises and falls with speed of vehicle, not engine rpms. And it goes completely away when I turn the steering wheel even slightly to the right, returning as I go back to straight (and not changing with a turn to the left). Seems unchanged by braking. Any ideas?

Vehicle is 2006 with around 54,000 miles

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you not talking about the electric motor whine, or the inverter whine?

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The description "whining" could be the electrics, but the other symptoms sound like a problem with a u-joint or wheel bearing. I'd take it to a dealer.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Jimjo,

Uneven tire wear, a bad wheel bearing (front most likely), loose lug nuts, or a combination of the three - as when you steer the noise changes - are what come to mind. Wheel bearings are the most common cause.

5. electrocality

electrocality New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used 2006 Prius on Monday and today had a chance to take a ride in another '06 that a friend was going to buy. I drove an '08, too, but hadn't noticed the lack of the whine on the '08 until I was in the other '06 today and noticed that mine had it and the other one didn't.

As near as I can tell it is not coming from tires or brakes. It could be transmission or electric in nature. It sounds like a classic "electric car" kind of whine where, as the car speeds up, you hear the motor noise pick up in intensity.

6. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was reluctant to think it was wheel bearings on so young a Toyota but the dealer replaced both front wheel bearings and whine has ceased. Under warrenty, as part of drive train warrenty that goes to 60,000. Glad of that!

Jim