1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

whining noise after powering down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pvsteph7, Feb 22, 2008.

1. pvsteph7

pvsteph7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone else's Prius make a whining noise for 10-20 seconds after powering it down? It's kind of like a soft whirring noise, really like"whining."

I have a 2005 w/ 43k miles. I just bought it used, so I don't know if it made that noise before.

Thoughts? I read a previous post that it might be the coolant pump? Does this necessitate a trip to the dealer?

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thats the coolant transfer pump that pumps the hot coolant into the thermos for warmer startup the next time you turn it on.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi pvsteph7. Every North American Prius makes that noise. If it doesn't sound like a cat being stepped on, it's probably OK. If you suddenly STOP hearing it is the time to be worried; it may have died. As the car gets older, and particularly in winter, you may hear the coolant transfer pump more. But unless it's really making a racket, or stops completely, you're OK. BTW, it may turn on for a few seconds a few hours after shutting down; this, too, is normal.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you didn't get both the owner's manual and the scheduled maintenance guide with the car, then buy them from a dealer or online. They will save you money and trouble.