1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whining noise from motor?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by foxrider68, Apr 22, 2013.

1. foxrider68

foxrider68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just picked up a 05 with 99500 on it. Drives fantastic and previous to this I used to have an 05 way back that I drove new to 64k. Anyway I test drove it in the rain and with chatter between my wife and I with the sales rep I didn't notice it but now I found that there is a whining noise coming from the timing chain area of the motor. Its only when the car is on and it gets louder as you go towards the passenger side and away from the hybrid compents. I will be taking it in soon but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas? Here is the sound from my iphone near the motor.

Thanks

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take the belt off the front of the motor for test purposes that drives the water pump & wp idler. See if the noise goes away. Hope so if not its internal.

If internal take the valve cover off and see how abused its been over its life. If lots of dyno burnt oil on the cover and engine oh boy. Lifetime of crappy dealer vat dino oil and hardly ever changing that means don't put a dime into the motor turn up the stereo and drive it till it explodes.

Btw, the vvt timing system works by oil pressure and that oil goes through a tiny little filter thats serviceable. The adjustment oil driven mechanism is on the front of the engine also.
    The filter location is kind of sneaky. Search back my old posts as I have a write up on it.

3. foxrider68

foxrider68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I did purchase an extended warranty with it so I'm taking it in this Wed as I just got off the phone with the service area. The contract will honor it even if the damage was from the previous owner. Got a great deal on the warranty so we'll see.

4. foxrider68

foxrider68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was the belt making that noise. I've never had a belt sound quite like that. Feel kinda stupid but oh well it got replaced for free.