1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whining sound @ idle: normal??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MidwestPrius, May 26, 2017.

1. MidwestPrius

MidwestPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Howdy folks,

I am an about-to-be Prius owner: today I was car shopping and looked at a 2012 Prius III with 83k miles that is in very good condition.

When I lifted the hood and started the engine, there was a pronounced whine/high-pitched noise during idle from the driver's side of the engine compartment. It sounded more like an electrical whine than mechanical/bearing noise. I did not have time to testdrive the vehicle.

Is that noise normal? I have driven many Prius's before (friends, relatives) but never noticed it.

I apologize in advance for the naive/subjective question. I have worked on cars for a few decades but have no experience with hybrids.

Thanks!!!

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    sounds normal to me

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's normal inverter whine. After a while, you'll come to recognize the sound and be able to hear Toyota hybrids drive by in parking lots and garages.

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    or air conditioner compressor?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    when you say 'idle', was the engine on or off?

uber2016 likes this.
  6. MidwestPrius

MidwestPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks for reading & responding!!

thanks for the reassurance! Owning a Ford for 8 years taught me that a paranoid sense of hearing & touch can head-off a problem before it turns into a full blown breakdown.

I turned the ICE on with no accessories. We've had a rainy spring, and judging from the rust on the brake rotors, this car hadn't been driven in a few weeks - and maybe not started either.