1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whirring /humming at high speeds. wheel bearings?!?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GeoZoo, Jan 16, 2015.

1. GeoZoo

GeoZoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I noticed it a little after driving for days on very snowy/slushy/gritty roads where I had to plow some parking spots with my little 2013 C3.

Tonight I was driving into Vancouver and back at 100+kph and noticed like a whirring sound or like a higher pitched humming sound possibly from drivers side front tire?? A little vibration felt through the wheel.

I've driven cars with messed up bearings before so that is my first thought but really???? 34,760km only and just over a year old. Vibration is very light but noticeable.

The car is always louder with the steel rims and snow tires on but they've been on for a month and this is different.

My bright orange C was brown from the road dirt and wondering if maybe it needs a good undercarriage wash?

Could something have been damaged from.plowing in the slush/snow?

I took a peek and on the surface the wheels are dirty but ok. No damage to the rims.

What should I be checking?

2. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would start with a tire rotation to see if the problem moves with the tires.

Avi

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Maybe wheels need to be rebalanced? A wheel weight maybe fell off?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    punctured cv boot?

5. MariCat

MariCat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Avi, can you check your profile page? Sorry, this is off topic, but was trying to contact you if you still do Prius maintenance. Seems like others were as well.

Back to your regularly scheduled program! Sorry for the interruption.

6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1

It does sound like tire, and rotation is the easiest way to confirm or invalidate it.

On Gen3 front ok but rear hub assembly is the weak point. If you clip curb it will come back a year later and the assembly $200+, give or take. Don't ask how I know it :(

7. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Mine has an odd sound that happens at almost exactly 60 mph (96.5 kmph). I'll pay more attention next time it happens.

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    At 60mph I can hear it too. I think it is the hybrid drivetrain inverters "singing" happily at that speed. I think you have nothing to worry about.

minkus likes this.