1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whirring noise after I shut it off and remove the key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by impreza, Apr 4, 2004.

1. impreza

impreza New Member

After I shut the car off I hear a quiet noise. It lasts about 30 seconds and seems to be coming from the engine. What is it?

2. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Coolant being sucked into a thermos in the engine...it assures a warmed up car

3. impreza

impreza New Member

WOW! I heard something about water being kept "HOT" for the next startup and wondered how that worked.

Those guys thnk of everything!

How long does that water stay hot?

4. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    "To optimize engine and emissions performance, the new Prius uses an electric water pump and insulated hot water storage thermos ('HC absorber'). The intent is to ensure the engine is warm before the hybrid demands power from it. The claim is that the water storage system can maintain the water temperature above 85 degrees for 3 days."

5. impreza

impreza New Member

Thanks for the info.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the HC absorber was used on the '01-'03 Prius, and was a special catylitic converter which absorbed HydroCarbons (HC's) until the cat was warmed, at which point they were burned off. This was later applied to the '04 Camry PZEV.

The thermos in the '04 heats the engine so that it doesn't generate as many unburned HC's while it's below normal operating temp.

I would have liked to have seen both in the '04, but alas.

They say that the Thermos can keep the coolant at near boiling overnight, and quite warm for several days.

-Rick

7. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

I get the same noise, but I've noticed that after a few more minutes (perhaps 3 or 4) I often hear another rumble/slight grinding noise coming from somewhere under the passenger compartment. Something to do with the drive battery I suppose?

I was looking in the manual last eve to see if I could find it, but have not as yet. Anyone know?

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Brake pressure pump.

I hate to say this, but these topics have all been covered before - search through the forums and you'll find that we've already gone into detail on this.

-Rick