1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whistle noise at shutdown????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ggarman, May 15, 2005.

1. ggarman

ggarman Junior Member

One of my 03's, which has about 62K miles on it, makes a fairly loud whistle noise most of the time when you shut the engine off. My other car makes a similar noise, only much quieter.

It sort sounds like the air brakes on a semi, when they really whistle, only mine is without the hiss sound. It happens during the last few revs of the engine as it is coming down, if not right when the engine completely stops. To me, it sounds like a very squeaky dry metal to metal connection. I had my wife turn the car off and on for me while I listened in the engine compartment and I couldn't quite pinpoint where it was coming from, but I'm gonna say it is somewhere around the hybrid system side of the engine.

I really almost need to be under the car, I think, to better pinpoint it.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

a short piece of rubber hose Ie: heater hose or your neighbours garden hose about 30" long makes one of the best tools for locating noises. One end to ear other searching for the source of the noise. Try it, you'll find it!

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I believe it is the AC refrigerant settling.

Some other noises:
    actuator switching coolant flow just after powering off. Immediately followed by a motor whine moving coolant from the ICE to the thermos bottle.

A little while later a hiss, releasing hydraulic brake pressure. Shortly followed by the hydraulic pump restoring pressure. Possibly how Toyota minimizes air in the lines?

I heard the AC compressor run full speed after having the car out in ACC mode while I was working on my lawnmower. When I turned the car on to EV mode, man that compressor is loud and freaky!