1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

White noise when connecting AUX input

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by massarmor, Jun 4, 2016.

1. massarmor

massarmor New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I never had this problem with my previous car and I'm using the same phone and 1/8" cord.

I get a loud white noise sound whenever I try to play through the AUX input. I have a 2013 Prius 2.

Does anyone know how to get rid of the noise?

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! I have a 2009 Gen II and notice if I use my Zen Extra MP3 Player with an external power cord from one of the 12V
    Welcome to PriusChat! I have a 2009 Gen II and notice if I use my Zen Extra MP3 Player with an external power cord from one of the 12V outlets there is lots of noise, but if I use the built-in battery of the player, the noise disappears. I've tried two or three different power cords and each one is noisy, but they're different. I also have a 12V PowerPack which I got from battery.com (see threads passim) and when the MP3 player uses that, there is no noise - hope this helps - Wil

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    This is commonly referred to as a ground loop or a floating ground. Usually the resultant noise is a hum or sometimes a feedback squeal. There are ground loop isolators that treat the audio side but the easiest method, already mentioned, is to use the device internal power. There are threads on this with other alternatives if you do a search. I have never had the problem or, by any means, am an expert on the problem. Just a reader and a rememberer.

4. Friend of Bill W.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same thing on my 13. I use both my cell connecting via Bluetooth and also old school my Zune via aux. If it's having feedback I unplug the Jack from the zune and plug it back in and it stops the hum

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. massarmor

massarmor New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the welcome :)

The phone is not connected to the 12volt or powered in any way when I have the 1/8" aux connected.

It does not sound like ground noise - no variable static or feedback ring, squeal, or hum - It is a constant white noise that comes on when the system detects an input and turns on. I do not hear this sound when the radio is on. The white noise is extremely loud and becomes louder when I try to turn up the volume of my device to hear it better.

6. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Then I am mistaken. Perhaps the AUX is looking for a line-level input and is receiving an amplified signal for driving earphones. In that case you should be able to acquire an attenuating 1/8" stereo patch cord which should do the trick. Radio Shack maybe?