1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"white van" speakers - have you been approached?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My local news had a story on local scams to watch out for now that we're having better weather. They basically referred to "white van" speakers: watch out for vans or SUVs trying to selling "high end" speakers and projection TVs. They said they're worthless mass produced junk that might short out your equipment or start a fire.

They showed one set being unboxed w/the brand "ProTechnik". Interestingly, they have a web page at ProTechnik™ Global. I never knew of the brands until now, which prompted me to look at [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam"]White van speaker scam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]. It's listed there.

I'd heard about "white van" speakers at work many years ago. I was "white vanned" myself by some guy in a black SUV at an Arco gas station in WA before Wikipedia existed, probably 8+ years ago. He said something like "hey man, do you want to buy some surround sound speakers? I can sell them to you cheap!" Of course I didn't buy.

My dad years ago also approached by one of these "white van" guys in CA. I laughed and told him about the scam.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Reminds me of the old laptop scam we had going here a couple years ago. You think you're getting a laptop but they swap you an equally heavy box but not containg a lap top.

Portsmouth student peeled in potato laptop scam

I do love the fun with words the journo was having.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What's kind of funny is that at ProTechnikâ„¢ Global, they have a map of distributors but yet all of them have an address of N/A. They have a link that refers to calling their 24/7 call center, yet there's no number and it just lets you submit a form.

At ProTechnikâ„¢ Global, a bunch of speakers are listed as "HDTV Compatible". They also sell amps at ProTechnikâ„¢ Global and that have a "DTS 7.1 Prosound III Deconder". :)

Funny stuff.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Funny, but people fall for it! A fool and his money are soon parted.

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It always warms my heart when I win the Nigerian lottery...