1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Whither the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DeadPhish, Jun 3, 2006.

1. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking about this on the way to work today and another poster brought up the same subject so to crystallize my own thinking and to generate discussion...

Now that the TCH is off and running, sprinting(?), ...whither the Prius?

My own view is that everything Toyota here in the US revolves around keeping the Camry No 1, healthy and strong. The Prius ( to go before ) has been wildly successful in bringing hybrid technology to this market at a perfect juncture of need and circumstances. Now the technology has migrated to the quintessential American auto the Camry in what many consider the best iteration ever.

Mainstream America here it is!!!!

But the Prius? It has served with valor and distinction as the foot soldier that has won all the battles and borne all the attacks. Enough metaphors...

The Prius and the TCH currently are in the same price range and essentially appeal to the same market segment; buyers of midsized vehicles wanting something more than the bare bones and willing to pay $25- $30,000 for a vehicle. Is there a need for two vehicles like this in the same class and price range. I don't think so. The Camry is going nowhere except up. The Prius is IMO off to fight other battles.

Some rumors have been around the internet concerning the Gen3 Prius with new technology and a plugin option and FE values approaching 1 GPC ( 100 mpg ). In it's present form and size? Again I think not.

With the TCH firmly entrenched as the midsized hybrid I can see the Prius going after the 'under 20 crowd'. This would make it a true compact, separate from the Corolla, but with a starting price of say $19500 up to say $25,000 but in a smaller more efficient form. Now a buyer might have for example an ICE compact in the Corolla topping out at say $20,000 and using 2.5 GPC ( 40 mpg ) and a true compact Prius starting at $20,000 but with typical fuel usage of 1.25 GPC ( 80 mpg ).

ALL comments are warmly welcomed. :D

2. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadPhish @ Jun 3 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]265233[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know. I don't think the Prius and Camry are after the same market. I see the Camry appealing to the traditional family looking for a good, trusty, mid-sized car (and if I can be nicer to the planet -- without inconvenience, that's okay, too).

I think the Prius appeals more to a tech-savvy crowd that is interested in making a statement. The statement I feel I'm making is "we have some real problems here with the way we interact with our environment, and I'm interested in being part of the solution. I want to encourage new technology that doesn't sacrifice the car in the process." I think the range of options (clearly on the techy side) also appeal to the "techy early adopters". I see the Prius proving other technologies before risking it on the mainstream like Camry.

To me, Prius remains on the cutting edge, a place where the Camry doesn't want to risk going.

Just my $.02.

3. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadPhish @ Jun 3 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]265233[/snapback]</div>
    Unless the TCH is redesigned to look like a Prius, it will be visibly (and visually) distinct from the Prius. The public will see two different cars that don't even look the same. The public will go for the popular TCH, and a smaller segment (we know who we are) will continue to move ahead of the pack.

4. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DeadPhish @ Jun 3 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]265233[/snapback]</div>
    I can't ever remember a made in the USA or JAPAN automobile ever getting smaller. Seems to me there is more of a chance of the Camry moving more up scale while the Prius becomes more of a tech lovers dream.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Camry moving up in scale? Are you kidding?
    Just the other day I saw an old Camry on the road and that thing was tiny by comparison. It seems that every model made by every manufacturer gets larger and larger almost every year. Shoot, Toyota grew the Rav4 and is using it as a selling point.

As for the Prius, I think the pahsing out of the Insight was due to a niche market. Don't get me wrong, I like the Insight but it just didn't turn in the sales numbers. The Prius on the other hand, not only proves the concept, it generates sales. A four-seater with a hatchback and folding seats is a great general purpose vehicle. I don't think the Prius will go away anytime soon.

6. Stairman

Stairman New Member

I expect the Prius will be the test bed for new technology, especially high mileage and low emissions technology. Once the technology is tested, they will move it to other platforms.

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stairman @ Jun 3 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]265278[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard the term 'launch platform' for new technology.

One of the knocks often heard is that hybrid technology is too expensive for the bulk of the market. The Fit hybrid might garner a lot of these buyers. Might Toyota allow Honda to have a 'free shot' at these buyers ( the under-20-crowd) without offering a competing product?

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius isn't going to disappear. Sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense... still.

We've been through this discussion countless times in the past already. Everytime the conclusion is that the two hybrids are siblings that complement each other, not compete. Each has too unique of a purpose.

And since Toyota wants to continue expanding marketshare, abruptly discontinuing a popular vehicle simply isn't a good business decision.

Or look at it this way, Prius is the only hatchback (of any size from Toyota) available.

Another way is to consider that multiple hybrid configurations must be provided. One size does not fit all. Camry-Hybrid is a excellent balance of everything. Prius puts greater emphasis on efficiency.

9. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 3 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]265264[/snapback]</div>
    How about the Mustang II. Ohh, bad example. The Mustang II hardly qualified as a car. :p

But a friend of mine was very disappointed when he graduated from law school more than a couple of decades ago. He had always planned to buy a big new Caddy when he started practising. That year they shrunk the Caddies seriously, but he bought one anyway.

10. Brian K

Brian K New Member

My comment is this...

Why write "1.25 GPC ( 80 mpg )" when simply writing 80mpg would say it in a language everyone understands and there is less typing since you wrote 80 mpg anyway?

11. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator @ Jun 3 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]265291[/snapback]</div>
    I stand corrected I kind of over looked the early 80's when Detroit shunk some of there cars. Seems that was about the same time Detroit started there big fall. Maybe they should try big fins and 500 lb chrome bumpers again.... They could even give a rebate for poor gas mileage...Oh! I guess I forgot about that to.....

12. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Undoubtedly many potential buyers of a hybrid Camry will want to drive a Prius, too, if they haven't already. I think there's still enough of a gap in pricing between a low-end Prius (pkg #1-3) and a comparably-equipped Camry, especially for those (like me) for whom a low-end Prius is already a stretch, together with the hatchback advantage (for many of us) and the gee-whiz factor that the Prius will maintain a large portion of its present market share no matter what the Camry does.

As others have said, Toyota will probably play on that gee-whiz factor with the Prius. Remember, when they adjust the EPA tests and all those MPG ratings tumble, Toyota will want to put some distance between the Prius and whomever the closest competitors are then by getting the numbers back up. I doubt they'll have the technological flexibility to increase the Camry's MPG significantly and soon (discounting for now the possibility of a Camry plug-in), given the configuration they chose and the size/weight of that vehicle. Again Toyota is dealing with almost a perfect storm: what better time for a plug-in Prius---including, perhaps, a somewhat stripped-down "commuter version"?

What I keep waiting for is some competitive stirring from Honda---or even another Japanese manufacturer. It wouldn't hurt for someone to put a little pressure on our beloved Prius.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with several posters above: Prius will remain the showcase for new technology, extreme efficiency, and extremely low emissions. I don't use the term "test bed," as that implies that the Prius is a test. The technology gets tested before it's put into a car marketed to the public. Showcase is what Prius is.

Since most people are scared of new technology, it must be introduced in a car aimed at early adopters (all of us) which then serves to put it in the public eye. That's what Prius is

As for the Camry hybrid, doesn't it have a much bigger engine and more power, and therefore lower mpg and higher emissions? Thus it is not competing for the same buyer.

The 2020 Prius will probably be a totally different car, but it will be Prius because it will be the latest cutting edge technology, aimed at early adopters, and intended as a showcase to prepare the buyers of other models to accept that technology in their cars.

On the other hand, whether it's still the most advanced car on the road will depend on what the other makers do, and whether any of them can leap-frog Toyota. Perhaps Honda or one of the up-and-coming Korean companies will come up with something even more advanced. We can only hope. But it is the 2004 Prius that proved that there is a market for an advanced, clean, efficient car.

14. mextaco1

mextaco1 New Member

Don't be really surprised if you don't see a Yaris Hybrid next year for the KIDS!

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 3 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]265289[/snapback]</div>
    Yaris? Matrix? Both seem to be hatchbacks as well.

16. momfortheenvironment

plus just the size difference is a factor, I'm small and the prius fits me and others where the camry feels too big. I think there is some overlap before really looking into it, I think the camry will make a lot of people feel good having a hybrid and I think its good but I don['t think the mileage will be the same. I see them as having different appeals.
    As I wait for a certain color, I'm starting to wonder when we'll hear about the 2007 prius in the US?

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 3 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]265376[/snapback]</div>
    Seem, but they are not. Their back windows are practically vertical, making them a wagon instead. The back of Prius is nearly horizontal, which is a very significant difference.

They are also smaller and not of the same quality class.

18. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 3 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]265289[/snapback]</div>
    Not disappear certainly but move to attract a different segment of buyer. Now a Hybrid buyer is limited to being able to buy one from Toyota in the $24K-30k range. To expand the penetration of the technology it's moved already upstream to the luxury buyer, the SUV buyer, soon next year to the truck buyer and possibly to the minivan buyer.

Why let all the under $20K buyers ( which is a huge market ) go elsewhere?

19. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 4 2006, 02:05 AM) [snapback]265485[/snapback]</div>
    Both the Yaris and Prius are listed as liftback's by Toyota. So, your personal classification aside, Toyota considers them to both be hatchbacks.

As for quality, I would hope that the Yaris and Matrix aren't worse than the Prius.

20. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I see that nothing has changed. Simply dismissing physical attributes is still not objective.

Using whatever label you can find won't change the reality that they are different.

The point is that they are NOT THE SAME.