1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who can confirm: P0420 DTC display identifying upstream or downstream sensor as cause?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChapmanF, Aug 15, 2024 at 10:37 PM.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In another thread, discussing P0420 and whether it indicates a cat converter problem or an upstream or downstream sensor problem, and what workup steps are needed to tell the difference, this claim has been made:

"P0420 will give a description on Tech Stream what sensor or bank it is, signifying upper/lower etc."

The claim was doubled down here:

"Tech Stream literally gives the description and/or sub codes to tell the tech where to look and what the actual problem is."

When asked for more detail, the same poster said this:

"Bank 1 Sensor 1 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Lean/Rich It's not rocket science, it's a simple DTC with description."

I'm happy to let "Bank 2" slide as a typo (as the Prius has an inline-4 engine, there is only one cylinder bank, Bank 1), and just focus on whether someone can show Techstream displaying P0420 in a way that pinpoints one or the other sensor as the cause of the code.

When invited to offer a screenshot or the like, the same poster replied:

"There's always Google images that show this, if you're just generally interested."

So taking all that at face value, it sounds pretty easy to find such an image, no?

Not sure why it's not easy enough to just be supplied by the person making the claim. But I'm happy to ask if anybody else can show what it looks like for a P0420 report to pinpoint that the cause of the problem is one or the other sensor. That's something that would definitely be worth knowing, as it would save a lot of time/effort compared to the troubleshooting steps given in the repair manual, so it's hard to believe the one person making the above posts would be the only one around here to know about it. Somebody else must too, surely?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    As far as I'm aware, the P0420 does not have subcodes associated with it, at least for a Gen2. It does have freeze frame data.
    Trouble areas are listed as :
    Gas leakage in exhaust system
    A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1)
    Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1 sensor 2)
    Three way catalytic converter (exhaust manifold)

I think I have a Gen 2 in the family that has an intermittent P0420, but I haven't dug into it yet. Maybe I can connect up with it this weekend and post a photo of the freeze frame.

3. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Oh the resident Know it All in this echo chamber called Prius Chat seems to be upset and stumped. I'm always honored when a whole thread is made about me.

#3 V Sport Wagon, Aug 15, 2024 at 10:47 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2024 at 11:05 PM
  4. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes it was a typo, sensor 2 meaning downstream on the Cat. Unless someone can show you their tech stream screenshots you're not going to get the answer you like.

#4 V Sport Wagon, Aug 15, 2024 at 10:52 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2024 at 11:03 PM
  5. MAX2

MAX2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the Prius V, the reasons are slightly expanded.
    • Gas leaks from exhaust system

• Air fuel ratio sensor (sensor 1)

• Heated oxygen sensor (sensor 2)

• Front exhaust pipe assembly (TWC: Front and rear catalyst)

• EGR valve assembly

V Sport Wagon likes this.
  6. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's probably the most rare one ever. I've yet to ever see a P0420 that was exclusively related to the EGR. Good thing for tech stream and the descriptions or it could lead a book smart guy down a lot of needless rabbit holes. (y)