1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who Can Explain the Differences I see in Reported Download Speeds?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    OK. I want someone to explain this to me: When I test my internet speed (speedtest.net, testmy.net and bandwidth.com), I get .66Mbps which is 660 KB/sec. Both the Mac's System Monitor and the PC Activity Monitor report a steady max at 86 KB/sec. Why the huge difference in reporting? If I'm getting 660 why do the monitors show 86?

And please don't waste your time telling me that I should upgrade to a more expensive internet package unless you plan on writing me a check for the difference.

2. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bytes per sec or bits per sec? That could account for the difference.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is almost 0 discrepency.

You get 0.66Mbps which is NOT 660KB/s, it is 660Kb/s. Notice the small 'b' versus big 'B'

86KB/s * 8bits/1byte = 688kbps
    86 KiloBYTES per second = 688 KiloBITS per second

And when you pay your ISP for 3Mbps or 6Mbps, it is in bits too. That way they can make the number sound bigger.

2 people like this.
  4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And you need to upgrade.

:heh:

Tom

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1. Seriously...

My phone achieves 1600Kbps no sweat, when I am in a good tower spot I get 6Mbps. ON A CELL PHONE! If you have a wired connection, there is no excuse for that lack of speed.

My area is stuck in the stone age, so I have the fastest available from any ISP here, which is a paultry 100Mbps down / 35Mbps up. And it is fully utilized too. :)

6. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ding Ding Ding we have a wiener! Also you need an upgrade Tony and I'm being charitable. My second generation iPhone got twice that speed off of regular 3G! Quit whining about the money and start stimulating the economy by spending more! :thumb:

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks Toaster. I figured as much but just didn't do the math. Seems too obvious.

Seriously, though, until we just started with Netflix, there has been no real reason for anything other than the basic package. I'm not even complaining about the internet speed. It meets more than 90% of our needs. The rest is only for the occasional Netflix and when I'm downloading a 300MB OSX upgrade.

And yes, ten bucks is ten bucks.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Remember the 56k modem? Those were in kbps also so your current connection speed is about 12x faster.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I remember 0.3k modems and they were fast compared to TTY.

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no excuse for anyone not to be on at least a 1Mbps connection... If your computer use is really that minimal then do the world a favour and install some @home projects. Einstein@home, SETI@home, whatever you choose. Then your computer can crunch some numbers for the greater good while you do other things. When you need the PC it detects that it is nolonger idle and minimizes CPU use.

Find ET, a cure for cancer, a new metamaterial for electrical engineering, mapping genomes, the list is almost endless. Surely there is a cause you support and can "donate" your not-so-used computer for.

11. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Stop downloading torrents!!.
    What service provider is it and how much are you paying for your internet? The fastest in my area is the Roadrunner Lightning and even that I'm getting jacked. Everyone else is getting 40mbps down/ 5mpbs up while I'm only getting 40mbps down/ 4mpbs up. Not sure how much it is b/c it's bundled with my cable. But I think I'm paying $70 or $75.

12. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I can't say I don't download torrents, but it is not the majority of my traffic. :) My server is a busy bee. :D

[​IMG]

Note, those numbers are in MegaBYTES. Can you spot the period where I had to cut power to my house to redo some mains panel wiring? :rolleyes:

So 3.7 TERABYTES uploaded, 90GB downloaded. And most of those downloads are HD streams of video through Hulu+ and Netflix.

Now, that is to preface the "why" of my internet. I have Comcast Business Class Cable. And I pay $194USD per month for just internet, no bundling.

If you have Comcast Personal Cable internet, then you get a 250GB transfer cap. Download + upload must be less than 250GB every billing cycle. If you go over, they shut off your internet. Do it 2 times in 6 months, and they blacklist you and terminate your service. You can then no longer sign up for any Comcast service. Obviously my usage is higher than that, so I have no choice but to go business class. And Comcast has a monopoly in this region (and many others) so they are the only ones offering service in excess of 8Mbps without a dedicated fiber channel. And where I live it is impossible to run a dedicated fiber because it is on a mountain and they can't bury it. Not to mention the cost that I would have to front of about $25,000.... Not going to happen.

Here's March. Not sure what I was doing on the first...

[​IMG]

430GB downloaded. 4150GB uploaded.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I ran seti for a long time a long time ago. Probably still have an account. But these days, when I'm not using the computer it's off, just like my lights.

14. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So 35W of parasitic draw isn't worth donating your CPU time? For accessing your files anytime anywhere in the world?

15. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exactly. And you used fewer words.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    10 here, 10 there ..

It adds up.

Trivia detail: 8 bits of data has around 2 bits of overhead, so a 1 Mbps data stream is 800,000/(1024*8) = 97.6 KB/sec of actual data.

17. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember the debate about choosing a 9600k modem rather than the 4800k modem.

I'm glad I held out for the 9600k! :thumb:

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then there's the upload speed: now that keyboards are digital and the little metal arms don't jam when striking the paper, could we evolve beyond qwerty?

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have Windows XP or later you already have the option of using Dvorak. It's an included Windows keyboard layout.

20. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Use Dvorak then. :) All it takes is a driver update and a couple minutes popping the keys off the keyboard plungers and rearranging them.