1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

who can figure this out for me---I am begging

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ivorz, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am just about at the end of the line with my prius. I do a lot of freeway driving in FL. Ever since I got the car it has bobbed and weaved on the freeway. I have read this forum cover to cover and tried a number of things.
    1. New tires. (195s)
    2. BT Plate.
    3. Tire pressures.
    4. Hold steering loose/ Hold tight.

Although it has improved slightly, I feel like I am constantly correcting while driving.

I have had the car aligned 7 times to no avail. I am ready to sell it as I feel almost unsafe on the freeway.

This is my last alignment spec.

FRONT
    Camber -0.9 -0.9
    Caster 3.1 3.1
    Toe 0.00 0.02

REAR
    Camber -1.4 -1.5
    Toe 0.09 0.20
    Thrust angle -0.05

My steering wheel is also off center about 5 degrees left. From reading this, can anyone diagnose what my car is doing and what I can do to fix it.
    My other option, which I don't really want to do, is trade it.
    Perhaps my sanity and safety is worth it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how fast do you drive? how many miles on it? did you buy it new? socks/struts?
    my 08 is perfect on the hywy at 65 mph, 20K miles on it.

3. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I drive 65-75mph
    40K on it
    It is an '08 all stock except for BT Plate and the 195 tires (yokohama)

4. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try and drive another Prius, RENT one if you must, and see if you feel the same way. If you still feel it's unstable rent a 2nd one. If you 3/3 are unstable then it's likely that the Prius is out of your "specs".

I drive 75 regularly and on an even surface I can lift my hands off of the steering wheel for 4-5 seconds just to test the alignment. It's well within my limits of "tolerable" but it's not perfect. The car feels light on the road but I am used to it. I have 46 psi on my factory tires and they have an extra year (entering their 4th) of life "at least" according to the my mechanic who would make money off of replacing them.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your front alignment measurement seems fine. The steering wheel position is adjustable, by adjusting the tie rod ends. Was the steering angle sensor zero point calibration performed after the wheel alignment was done?

The only potential concern would be with the rear suspension where toe on one side is less than the other. It is still in spec though, as spec is 0.3 degrees total toe, +/- 0.25 degrees. It is possible to adjust this with the use of shims, although a Toyota dealer typically will not do this as the repair manual recommends replacement of rear suspension parts.

What tire pressure are you using? Suggest you try 35/33 psi if you currently are using higher tire pressures.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It would have been HELPFUL also if you past in your avatar, what part of Florida you live in. For example, driving into Indio CA has frequent high winds. Same with some of the mountain passes in Montana. That can cause the car to buffet about.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it's a "feel" thingy. what did you drive before the prius?

8. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It may be a "feel thing" as suggested, but, I have never had a car that does this. My previous car was a toyota matrix and it was fine.

Moving on, what tires would you recommend for Driing in South Florida. I drive the freeway and turnpike every day.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I stuck a front shock upper strut bar on my 06 and it helped out the wandering feeling a great bit, but after I replaced the rear stabilizer bar with a trd (Toyota racing development) the car became very stable.
    Everyone will give different information about tires but I like the Michelin hydroedge, it evacuates water excellently when needed, true it's an all season and you're in Florida but you do have torrential down pours... when you don't have droughts.
    You may have a bad tire doing all the mischief, one broken chord in the sidewall will make for a miserable ride.A strong sidewind effects the Prius in a most precarious way and as you know in Florida the wind can be non-stop and with no hills to block it, it just constantly pushes the car around.

10. Author

Author New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed a similar thing when I moved from a VW Jetta TDI. I also drive a Miata MX-5.

Both of these cars exhibit very precise steering and excellent handling, so when I bought the Prius I thought, hell, this thing handles like a mini van in a beam wind. But setting the tire pressures to 38 front and 36 rear seemed to help.

Also, I find that I'm now adapting to the sloppy (relatively) highway handling of this great little money-saver.

11. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Determining root cause for a difficult problem
    is most efficiently done if you first put some
    thought into how to approach the problem.
    The key is to create a plan whereby at the end
    of the process, you have moved closer at a
    minimum to understanding the facts and
    even better hit that "ah ha!" moment. The
    three approaches people typically use are:

1. Best guess...try something that seems likely
    to solve or improve the problem, and hope
    it works. Some people call this, "throw it
    against the wall and see what sticks."
    2. Ask an expert.
    3. Process of elimination.

--

For #1 to work, you have to have a reasonably
    accurate educated guess as to what the problem
    might be, and it helps if there is only one problem
    to start with. The advantages of this are that it is
    relatively inexpensive to do, takes a fairly low
    amount of expertise on your part to implement,
    and if you have even a little luck, you might
    stumble upon the root cause. The downside is
    that it can take a long time, and it can gradually
    build up to be quite expensive both in terms of
    parts/services you have to buy and your own
    time.

In your case, #2 would be to go to a Toyota
    dealer, ask them to send a tech out with your
    on a ride, reproduce the problem. The tech
    should be at least able to tell you if your car
    is handling normally. This will probably be
    rather expensive, but presumably the expert
    will be able to confirm whether you have a true
    problem and perhaps even be able to tell you
    what the problem is.

Approach #3 is basically a systematic, "divide
    and conquer" technique. If you start with the
    right set of things to look for, you will invariably
    eventually isolate the problem.

If you decide to do #3, definitely the next step
    is the suggestion to rent one or two other Prius's
    and see if you experience the same handling
    problem. (One issue with that is that rental
    car companies may have phased over to the
    2010 model year; you will be lucky to find your
    2008 model, but you might find a 2009 which
    probably will suffice). If you can confirm that
    it is your Prius that is the problem, what I
    would do as the next step is to get a Toyota
    tech to drive with you in both yours and the
    rental car, thereby demonstrating that your
    car does have a mechanical problem. Beyond
    that, the next step would be to identify those
    car components that affect handling and test
    those one by one (personally, I'm not
    sufficiently mechanically inclined to be able to
    do that).

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Not sure if this is what you are experiencing but when I first took delivery of my 07 its most irritating thing it did was the constant hunt of the steering. Unlike every other car I have owned you must pay attention to this car's steering. Constant micro correction needed. Can't take your eyes off the road really.

Most cars you can just relax and truck on down the road and hold the steering loosely and not pay a whole lot of attention to it and will roll real nice and straight. Not my 07.

I was very unhappy.

I posted this complaint years ago and many posters just like Patrick here said tire pressure.

They were right. At least for the Goodtear Integritys. Which is really one of the world's shitt*est tire.

My 07 was delivered with 28 lbs in all the Integrity tires. At 28 lbs it was a constant hunt and peck steering.
    I pumped it up to 45-43 and the hunt pretty much stopped but the road noise was horrific.

I only have 27K on these tires and really don't want to put new tires on till at least 35K miles so to mitigate the road noise I dropped the pressure back down to 32 and bad hunt and peck came right back.
    Mileage suffered too.

So I see you list new tires but I hope to god you didn't buy Integritys again. Please say you didn't????

Because if you did.... all drivability complaints are off the table till you get a set of good tires on the car. Sorry.

Try pumping up to 45-42. It will be loud but will roll mostly straight and get good mileage.Still tiny hunting but better.
    I have really good hearing so Noises drive me crazy so I opted for the least amount of annoyance. I'm so used to its driving.

Unlike my Crown Vic which will roll in a straight line for miles and miles.
    Good Luck!!

13. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is exactly it. A constant hunt of the steering...micro manage steering wheel...and don't take eyes off road.

I did replace the stock tires with bigger one...as suggested. 195 yokohamas. It made it better, but this car just does not drive like a car of todays time should.

All I want is to be able to not get bumped around at 70mph on the turnpike and be able to not contantly be "on the steering wheel" waiting for that correction to happen.

Oh well, I guess I have to live with it, until the next car, which at this point is unlikely to be another prius. I have had a lot of toyotas, but this one is making me have my doubts.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I want to second the comment about driving another Prius or two. The steering on the Prius does have a different feel (or lack of feel) from most cars. There is little dead band and tiny hand movements are transfered to the wheels. It took me a while to get used to it.

As pointed out above, your Prius may have a problem, or it could be nothing more than you not liking the feel of the car. Until you test drive another Prius you won't be able to say which it is.

Tom

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    take a gen III for a test drive and let us know what you think. it would be an interesting comparison. i have to think something is wrong with your car, this is not a big complaint around here.:)

16. ivorz

ivorz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Really, I would beg to differ. Do a search for tires, wandering, drifting, etc. etc.....and all the threads about how people have tried to improve the handling of the car.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I can compare our Prius to our Subaru. The Prius without a doubt has a touchy steering wheel. My adjustment to it came when I learned not to over-correct. Nowadays I don't really prefer the Prius handling on the highway, but it's fine. Well, except on windy days; then I have to fight a bit.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use 44/42 PSI tires. After a month I got used to the squirrelly steering and ever since it feels normal.

19. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your problem has all the signs of an out-of-spec rear alignment. I would take it to the Toyota dealer (if you know a good one) and have them do the alignment. The rear alignment is not adjustable in the usual sense on the Prius, but don't let them try to sell you a new axle beam - they can shim the rear hubs into alignment. And experiment with tire pressures.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll take your word for it, i havnt noticed for some reason. good luck, i hope you can sort it out!:)