1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who can tell me where this chewed wiring is located? (photo)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gristle, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Gristle

Gristle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,
    I just bought my first Prius (first Toyota, too). Was too good a deal to pass up. My dad's friend (original owner) had rodent damage to some wiring in her '13 Prius Three, and the dealer quoted her over $6k. She said no, and I swooped in before they gave her $500 trade in, and doubled their offer. Car runs and drives flawlessly, except the following systems are disabled with dash indicators illuminated:
    ABS
    Traction Control
    SRS
    Seatbelt
    Also the cruise control doesn't work

Anyhow, she got the two attached images from the dealer, and I'm having trouble finding this spot in the car. I'm pleasantly surprised at how simple trim and glove box removal looks to be in these cars, but I don't want to start tearing apart (breaking) plastic clips that I don't have to thanks to you kind folks. I removed the lower glove box, and couldn't see it from there laying on my back. Drivers side footwell doesn't look like this. Possibly behind upper glove box? Clearly there's painted sheet metal and what looks like some plastic air ducting. Certainly nothing under the hood looked to me like it had that same plastic trim, but perhaps under the trim that holds the wiper assembly?
    Any guesses?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Gristle

Gristle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Of course, after spending a couple days thinking about this and poking around the car, within minutes of posting it here I realized I just needed to google "SRS module location", based on which warning lights I have and what's in the photo. I found a youtube video showing the SRS module location and it is most certainly exactly what is in my photos.
    Rather than delete the thread I'll leave it up in case it helps another soul down the road.
    Wish me luck in the repairs, maybe I'll be back in this thread with another issue with this fix.

bisco likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a picture of the opening to the cabin air filter in my 2011 Toyota Prius in the engine bay with the windshield cowling removed. Uncovered, there is easy access into the interior of the cabin. I have secured some 1/4 inch hardware cloth metal mesh screen over the opening with self tapping screws.

The second picture (white car), is of our 2010 Toyota Camry with similar screen installed, also blocked off smaller openings on the sides of the engine bay. 20210828_155207.jpeg 20211206_111903.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Paul E. Highway and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wait, $500? Your car insurance would fix that. Just pay the deductible

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The $500 was what the dealer offered her as trade-in value for her car. Repair was quoted as $6k.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I got that the offer for the car was $500. I'm surprised the owner just didn't report it to her insurance and get it fixed

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2013 Prius, a total lost would get the owner a $10000+ check

10. Gristle

Gristle New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm guessing she didn't have comprehensive? I wondered the same thing, but never asked.
    I called my local dealer today and just the harness itself is a $2400 part, which is just insane. $6k suddenly is believable. Still, even at $6k I might pony up, since this is a $10k car at least. But that isn't plan A.
    I've gone about trying to repair some of these wires myself (have two young kids, so chipping away at it slowly), best I can do is hope I don't alter resistance in critical circuits enough to keep the SRS system from being tripped. Six severed wires in total. Found a good post on this site about SRS wiring repairs, also on a '13.

Salamander_King likes this.