1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who has personally, actually received revised OCI notice and maintenance schedule?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LeadingEdgeBoomer, Mar 2, 2010.

1. LeadingEdgeBoomer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There has been lots of publicity about Toyota's decision to change the OCI interval, and I have read that official notice and a revised maintenance schedule were to have been sent to us by last month.

Who has actually received them? And what US sales region are you in? More specifically, has any owner in the Rocky Mountain region received the official documents?

1 person likes this.
  2. halofan

halofan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am in Southern Calif. I emailed Toyota and inquired about the 10,000 mile oil change. They confirmed it to be true. I then called my dealership to have them take care of the 2010 recall, as well as reset the oil change computer 5000 miles reminder to 10,000 miles. I will have that done this Friday, 2/5 /10

1 person likes this.
  3. 2to4

2to4 Wherever we end up

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We received ours yesterday. The letter was dated 2/25/10. We are in southwestern Indiana.

The change from 5,000 miles to 10,000 miles applies to SAE 0W-20 oil only. It says if you must use SAE 5W-20, you must replace it with SAE 0W-20 within 5,000 miles.

2 people like this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt that this will be possible. The draft customer notification letter provided by Prius Team indicates that the reminder will continue to come on at 5K mile intervals to encourage you to have the tires rotated and brakes inspected.

See post #138 here: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...y-revised-10000-miles-1-year-verified-14.html

1 person likes this.
  5. Pri4Us

Pri4Us Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I received the updated "Prius 2010 Warranty & Maintenance Guide" and the advisory letter yesterday by 'presorted standard' (bulk rate) mail. The enclosed correspondence was dated February 25th, as others have mentioned.

This letter also states(with reference to the bulleted point: "Lower cost of ownership through improved fuel economy and extended oil drain intervals":

"To this last point, use of the new synthetic 0W-20 Genuine Toyota Motor Oil in your Prius allows for the oil change interval to be extended to 10,000 miles/1 year(from 5,000 miles/6 months) under normal operating conditions."

2 people like this.
  6. DetroitFlyer

DetroitFlyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing here in Detroit.... My dealer will also not confirm the 10K interval. I was "lucky" enough to purchase one of the first Prius's sold in metro-Detroit. I guess that if you were among the first to purchase a Prius, you must be among the last to receive this notification. My car is just slightly below the 15K mark and I would really like to wait until 20K to change the oil, BUT with nothing but message board chatter to back me up, I think I am SOL.

1 person likes this.
  7. madelinesonja

madelinesonja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in Chicagoland and received nothing (no recall notice, either...). Got my oil changed at 5k a week ago, dealer said nothing to me, and the sticker for the next change is for 5 months/5k from now. Will be calling them angrily soon.

8. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No recall notice, no OCI change notice here in Pennsylvania.

9. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No recall or OCI notice on Long Island, NY. Also, can't get any consistent information out of Toyota Financial regarding how this will affect the pre-paid maintenance. The Toyota "help" line still denies the existence of the new OCI.

10. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No and I don't care to receive one either. They say 10,000 miles or which ever came first. Well I changed mine at around 3,000 miles. And I will continue to change it at 3,000 miles interval. It is what I feel most comfortable with, afterall I am going to own this car for over 7 years plus so I want to look after it well.

Its actually not that hard to change the oil etc for the car.

11. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I live in the Chicago Sales region and received my letter today March 3.

The concern I have is that I have been planning to use Mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic which the Owner's Manual allows by saying use Genuine Toyota... or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity, ILSAC multigrade engine oil, SAE 0W-20. However the letter from Toyota says use of the new synthetic 0W-20 Genuine Toyota Motor Oil allows for the oil change interval to be extended to 10,000 miles/ 1 year...

I received a free lifetime powertrain warranty from the dealer. I wonder if the lifetime warranty would still be valid from a legal standpoint if I use Mobil 1 instead of the Genuine Toyota Oil and go with the 10K interval. Any attorneys care to give an opinion?

1 person likes this.
  12. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Received letter and new maintenance guide with revised OCI in the mail today.

Live in central Ohio.

1 person likes this.
  13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got mine in WV today. :D

1 person likes this.
  14. PearlieGirl

PearlieGirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I received the letter and revised maintenance guide yesterday. I live in the Syracuse, NY area.

1 person likes this.
  15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am not an attorney but here are a couple of references:
    Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and You
    Magnuson-Moss Act
    or just Google Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Any after market product that meets the specification in the owners manual (which Mobil 1 does) is fine. The only way Toyota could require that you use their oil would be if they supplied it free.

2 people like this.
  16. colfacs

colfacs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Ours arrived on the third in Louisiana.

1 person likes this.
  17. viprius

viprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not received any communication. So Cal.

18. fordjf

fordjf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Received mine today in North Alabama

John

1 person likes this.
  19. MrBill

MrBill New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We got our notice and updated manual today (3/4); letter was dated 2/25. We are in Northern California (SF Bay Area). We have Pre-Paid Maintenance and the Toyota Customer Service folks said I must negotiate with my dealer for any 'relief', otherwise it's "TS". I have had our first (5K mi) OC and if we cancel the remainder, that OC will have cost us over $300! Anyone else pursuing this?

1 person likes this.
  20. MrBill

MrBill New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got a similar response from TF. They said some dealers are 'rewriting' the PP maint agreement and I should contact them. I have a call into my salesman now. If I cancel the remainder of my original PP MA, my 1st oil change that I had last month will effectively cost about $300!