1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who here is sueing TOYOTA for loss of value?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Who here is sueing Toyota in cases involving U.S. Toyota owners claiming lost value of their cars.

How does one get his name on the list.

Nobody wants to buy my Toyota.

We all need to be compensated for their 'SCREW UP'

I own 2 PRIUS autos[2008 & 2010], and both have lost alot of value $$$.

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do I sign up? I've read that there are numerous class action suits, but have not found where. The court system is considering whether to allow the action, according to a news story yesterday.

3. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Both autos? What else would they be??

4. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was there a guarantee of resale value in the contract when you people purchased your cars?

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was there some expectation of resale value based on what was then Toyota's reputation? yes. However, you are right - since we cannot count on Toyota's reputation to remain intact, I will trade for a GM (since everyone on the board already knows - and posts - that GM products are disgusting, inferior death traps, I won't expect the value to plumet).

6. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Talk to Sean Kane. He'll get you in touch with the lawyers.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go ahead if you wish. But I think you are wasting your time.

Recalls happen to vehicles all the time. There is no guarantee of resale value, and it's pretty much relative anyway.

You'd have to prove that Toyota willfully and maliciously sold a vehicle with intent to misrepresent it's value. Nobody can really predict future values under any circumstance.

So if gas goes up to $4.50+ a gallon are you going to give Toyota more money if your Prius increases in value?

Toyota is doing everything they can to repair their damaged reputation. Do you think they want or wanted their cars resale values to drop?

I don't think this is a winnable or viable case. Loss of resale value is just a risk you take with any vehicle. The reasons automobiles increase or decrease in value can be fickle and unpredictable.

You lose almost instantly based on the fact that Prius sales are evidently holding up very well. Despite rumors or reality of being able to get good deals right now, Prius are still selling and without massive discount.

But do what you wish.

1 person likes this.
  8. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we should all sue the previous owners of our houses too. mine has dropped in value $150k. who's with me!

9. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I tend to agree. I just sold my Saturn that I bought a few years ago and it has depreciated greatly from the fact that GM killed the brand off. So, does that mean I should sue GM for devaluating my car? That is crazy.

But, I also think the point is moot because I don't see any loss of value on the Prius. I look everyday in the classifieds, craigslist, cars.com, etc for deals on Prius because I have two friends who are interested in getting one so I've been trying to find them a good deal. I have not seen the prices fall at all on these vehicles.

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to hold your breath for this one.....
    I just want to see you turn BLUE!!!

11. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So what do you do if you are underwater on your house, underwater on your Toyota and drowning in debt?

12. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let me think... You could file for bankruptcy, then try to live within your means?

3 people like this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No because I'm not American and lawyers and suing people for petty cash isn't something the rest of the world does (no offense to the rest of you who are decent people).

Of all times, you're planning to sell both Priuses at the same time in the worst possible time? Isn't that stupidity on your part. Why didn't you sell it in 2008 when gas prices were high? Oh right, that's when you bought yours. Your 2010 is NEW. It depreciated the moment you drove it off the lot.

Should I being suing Mercedes Benz of Canada because my smart fortwo didn't have an inflated resale value due to popularity? No.

/rant

2 people like this.
  14. halfmoonray

halfmoonray New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is so funny but sadly true. Sad because it is a commentary on how stupid americans are.

15. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    *** CNN reports as of today, there are over 6 MILLION Toyota owners sueing TOYOTA for loss of value.

16. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Just saw the same type of report on FOX. They interviewed an attorney who is building a class action lawsuit. He claims that Toyota's response to it's problems has caused resale values to plummet (not the actual problems themselves). This appears to have a long way to go.

17. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mail in the keys and change your phone number. ;)

18. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's funny this topic came up here as I had an unsolicted telephone call from a lawyer about my Prius a few days ago and he said he obtained my name from PriusChat.com.

I told him I wasn't interested and basically stopped the call (didn't get his name).

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is this for real? 6 million?

20. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The sad part of it all is that this is the world we live in. Anytime anyone even remotely thinks they might get something for nothing there all over it.

Just like the OP on this one. What are the chances that someone would be selling not one, but BOTH Prius' now, and for what reason?

Sounds kinda fishy...

People need to remember also, just because you sue for something doesn't mean your going to get anything.

Most of these Class Action Lawsuits are a joke anyhow. You know who wins, if anything on these, the lawyers.

If there are truly 6 Million people suing Toyota, I'd love to see what they are going to use for a defense, and if anything ever comes out of it (20 years from now) what do you really think the individual is going to get.

Maybe a free Oil change...?