1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who is Buying/Selling a used Prius for more than New MSRP?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zahleeb, Jul 18, 2008.

1. zahleeb

zahleeb New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello, I'm with Bloomberg TV and looking for people who recently sold or people who recently bought a used Prius over the new MSRP price. Please advise. Really looking for a transaction that closed above the new price please. Thanks. Zahra Burton 212 617 1822

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    You'll probably find more here that sold theirs for a lot but most here are willing to wait in line at the dealers that are still offering deals. I'm about half way through a waiting list at a Bay Area dealership with about 5 weeks to go. The price on a touring #6 with floor matts is $31365 out the door which means I'm getting it for $150 under MSRP with no other dealer addons or markups of any kind. The price is in writing and is secured with a deposit.

If you look at craigslist.com(for the bay area), you'll see dozens of dealers posting new prius's all the way up to the $36K ($40K out the door) mark. Then those adds disappear leaving you with the impression that they sold. But I've just started realizing looking through the adds that the same dealers are advertising the same cars with the same lots numbers about every two weeks. The adds stay up for a week, then they're gone for a week. I suspect that not many dealers are actually getting those astromical prices once consumers sit down and actually do the math on $5 / gallon gass and realize how many hundreds of thousands of extra miles they'd have to drive to make up the difference on a functionally equivalent car like a Toyota Matrix 1.8L.

3. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know every dealer around me has been doing this with the 2007's and 2006's for over a month. Currently one local dealer has 7 2007's all listed at more than the MSRP for the same model in a 2008, with no mileage. And they are moving!
    Another dealer near me, I test drove a 2007 listed at $5000 above the MSRP for the same 2008 model and, by the close of business that day it was sold. I've seen it driving around my neighborhood.

I prefer to wait for my new one at MSRP. Been on the list 4 weeks this coming Monday.

4. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Take a look at the Carmax website. Earlier this week they had 30 or so that were obviously well above the original MSRP. They don't negotiate price. Don't know how many are left.

Wow, I just took a look.........44 available nationwide.

Wow #2 - the 2008 shows 19.7 mpg in 6 miles on the MFD