1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

who is fred?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by desertbriez, May 31, 2007.

1. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

in other words.... why is this FRED's house of pancakes?

2. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

[​IMG] so i'm not the only one who doesn't know who fred is! 19 views and no answer!

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

ahhhhhh! thank you!

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In the early days of Prius Chat, the main forum got a lot of off-topic discussion, and some folks were upset at having to see discussions unrelated to the Prius, while other folks felt that an on-line "community" should be able to range beyond one narrow topic. It was agreed that we needed an off-topic forum, and rather than just call it "Off-Topic" or "Other" somebody (I forget who) suggested "Fred's House of Pancakes," as a whimsical name. There is no Fred. I seem to recall that maybe IHOP came up in the discussion, as a place that people sometimes get together to chat over coffee, but rather than use an existing restaurant name, everyone liked FHOP. Those of us that remember this are the early adopters: the people that bought Priuses in the early part of the first year of the current generation, when more doubtful minds still regarded this car as an unknown, and not to be trusted. We are the tree-hugging elite, forward-thinking enough to recognize the future when it was placed before us.

6. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i can't think of one forum i frequent that doesn't have an off-topic section (ok... i can.... but just ONE!) i think off-topic sections are great because you can take them or leave them.... you're choice!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The pancake part of Fred's House of Pancakes comes from Oolong, the pancake wearing bunny. In one of the VERY off-topic threads, someone replied simply with the following picture.
    [​IMG]

Heck, I remember blowing Leinenkugel out my nose I laughed so hard.

From that moment on, we knew the name of the new off-topic forum would reference pancakes.

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oolong balanced many objects on his head. But he was probably most famous for the pancakes. They made him famous and he has an entry in Wikipedia. Sadly, he has passed away. But his master has a new bunny, Yuebing. Perhaps the new one will also have a talent for balancing objects on her head. The photo diary is really wonderful. I'm a dog person and I can tell that he really, really loved his rabbit. I wish I had been as faithful taking pictures of my dogs as he did of Oolong.

There have been no new pictures of Yuebing, the new rabbit, since 2005. I hope nothing has happened to her.

9. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Came across this by accident. Thought some may enjoy....

Salamander_King and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, I did. Thank you.;)

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The link given in #8 goes to a "buy this domain" link now.

But oolong has a Wikipedia entry.

Stevewoods and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    It confers positive things on PriusChat founders for making this large tent. Tent accommodates forward-looking car people who also have widely perspectives on many things. All those get 'play' here, along with deep discussions of the vehicle-in-question.

>3 million posts suggest a thing is being done well here. For me, there is no better web-place to blather and see what comes of it. Long dedication by my betters here rises above that blather.

13. Fred is the guy who says, "I sure like being inside this fancy computer" :ROFLMAO:

bwilson4web likes this.