1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who is Los Angeles Toyota Factory Rep?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by may all be happy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. may all be happy

may all be happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately I picked up my new Prius on 4/16/07 at night. On the first sunny day, I noticed the paint looked irregular. The drivers' door doesn't seem to match the rest of the car. There are signs of overspray and what appears to be repainting with inconsistent air pressure above the drivers door.

I can't believe Toyota would let this car pass QC. The Pruis is classic silver metalic. What are other owner's experience with the classic silver metalic paint?

It appears the dealer sold me a car that has been in a body shop without disclosing the damage. I would like to show the car to a Toyota factory rep. Does someone know who the factory rep is for Southern California/ Los Angeles?

Thanks in advance,

Don
    [email protected]

2. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does the dealer who sold you the car say? Can you post photos?

3. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don,

My classic silver, and others I've seen have none of the imperfections you mentioned. Sounds like you have a valid claim.

Good luck.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

5. may all be happy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Apr 25 2007, 05:48 AM) [snapback]429634[/snapback]</div>
    I contacted Toyota this morning and received a case number. There is another new silver Prius in our parking lot and it does not show the same kind of issues with the paint. I'll post the results on Prius chat.

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(may all be happy @ Apr 25 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]430007[/snapback]</div>
    Good luck! I had this experience in the early 90's with a silver Miata. Picked it up at night and noticed problems with the paint the next day.

The dealer started out by doing a "buffing" of the area, and the situation ended with my getting a paint job on the entire car...but they never would replace the car itself, no matter how hard I tried...and it never really did look as good as the other silver Miatas on the lot did, either (the trim pieces never were as tight fitting again, either).

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering...if, for example, the door on what is now your car had just a scratch in it, and it was repainted, I don't believe there to be any law forcing them to disclose this to you before the sale.

I mean, I see new cars in the body shop all the time on my way to work and suspect that, unbeknownst to us, all sorts of 'prep' work goes on.

I hope you'll be able to get it resolved, but do wonder if it's worth it to take the car back to a body shop and have them tear into it again, and risk creating other flaws in the process. Let's say, for example, that your dealer returns your car to the same body shop who did the work the first time around...why expect them to be able to do it any better this time?

Short of getting a new car, this seems to be your only option...more bodywork. If you can get another vehicle out of it, though...great!

The moral of the story, unfortunately, seems to be to *never* pick up a new car at night, when you can't really give it a good inspection.

7. may all be happy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Toyota factory rep said my car needs to have all four doors and an area above the drivers' door repainted. He claims this would not affect the value of the car. I also showed him bad paint on both rear quarter panels. Does Toyota have a quality control problem?

8. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

I've never heard of "bad" factory paint before. I bet anything the car was knicked, or maybe vandalized, or God knows what, on the lot and the dealer repaired it.

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Four doors and part of the top? Why in the hell don't they repaint the whole car, it seems like it owuld be easier. Paint is not THAT expensive.

I once bought a 1989 Plymouth Grand Voyager through a fly by night auto broker. I learned later that the front right fender had been repainted and was told that it is not unusual for new cars to get damaged in shipping. Five years later, that fender was a different color than the rest of the car.

When I took that Van in for the first service, I found out that the shady auto broker had never paid for it, and the service manager told me I wouldn't have gotten it back if that sleezy auto broker hadn't come in and paid for it 1/2 hour before I picked it up.

I guess the lesson is to always make sure you take delivery during the day and make sure the contract leaves you with right of refusal.

10. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 3 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]435329[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, always go to pick up your new car in the DAYLIGHT --- and don't sign the contract until you've thoroughly looked the car over AND test drove it. If there's anything wrong, don't buy it. Don't fall for that crappy line, "Oh, just bring it back in and we'll take care of everything." If the car doesn't meet your standards, then don't buy it!

11. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(may all be happy @ May 3 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]435304[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, he is wrong. Both KBB and Edmund's value car which had paint work done less than those which did not. You may wish to contact a Lemon Law attorney.

12. may all be happy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 4 2007, 10:48 AM) [snapback]435441[/snapback]</div>

After some research it looks like I am going to have to work with Toyota to resolve this. Apparently they will not replace a new car that has a manufacturing defect that requires repainting all four doors, and both rear quarter panels as documented when I showed the car to the Toyota rep. This is not covered under Lemon law. Maybe Toyota will do the "second" right thing, after not replacing a car with a substantial manufacturing defect, and they will repaint the entire car with the same batch number.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(may all be happy @ May 5 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]436059[/snapback]</div>
    I know this is not covered under Lemon laws, however, a Lemon law attorney should know what legal remedies should be available to you.