1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who Killed the Electric Car? DVD Released

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by mojo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Wow ,this is an eye opener.
    Dont read if you havent seen it yet.
    I wondered how the Big 3 could be so unwise to continue to produce gas guzzlers ,while Toyota and Honda pursued Hybrid technology(ironically originally nurtured by Bill Clinton /Al Gore).It appears from the film that there was a conspiracy to push for the Hydrogen fuel cell .
    The oil companies and clearly Bush and Swartzeneger wanted the fuel cell.
    It appears that alternate technologies threatened that advent.
    Now the Big 3 are threatened with extinction.
    Im deeply sorry for all the American auto workers who are suffering loss of work and loss of benefits due to idiotic GOP and oil /auto CEO mismanagement .

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For me, that video was an excellent summary of what I have been frustrated about for many years now... something that I can show people to make them better understand why I pushed so dang hard to prevent the same nightmare situation from happening with hybrids too.

It's vindication, an inspirational boost to continue the effort. With so many fighting against the success of the genuine solutions, it seemed pretty discouraging for quite awhile there. But not anymore. Word is getting out. Killing the idea is a whole lot more difficult than crushing the cars.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is, this is proof that the US automakers COULD do it if they were WILLING to do so. For all those who claim that Prius owners "bash" the US companies or that we un-American (well, not me but 90% of the PCers) by buying Toyota, open up your eyes!

GM did it. GM can do it again. Why aren't they? well, if they made a bad calculation, it's no one's fault. You can't blame Toyota or Honda for coming out with hybrids. You can't blame VW and MB for coming out with great diesels. Hell, Toyota and Honda are catching up in that respect over in Europe. You don't see them complaining about VW and MB and how they have an unfair advantage and whine to the EU.

4. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is a very interesting documentary. I watched it on the 'net last month, and two weeks later I was driving a Prius.

I guess you could say it made an impression. B)

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine came in the mail today! :D

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Warwind @ Nov, 06:23 PM) [snapback]349826[/snapback]</div>
    That's my story too! :)

7. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 15 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]349823[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. However some hope, they are coming out with a modified EV, per previous News post, that is if they can actually get it into the showrooms.

"Chris Paine, director of "Who Killed the Electric Car?" says, "Bring it on," he said, noting that he has never doubted GM's ability to produce an environmentally friendly electric vehicle but has criticized its commitment to marketing one."-LA Times Nov 09, 2006

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got it in the mail today from NetFlix. I'll watch it tonight or tomorrow night.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just watched it, and all I can say is: Can anybody watch this film and still believe that there's a single, solitary redeeming quality in capitalism and greed as the sole motive for all economic activity? GM and the oil companies and their puppets on the oversight and regulatory commissions are criminals! Talk about pure evil, Saddam Hussein is small potatoes compared to the executives of the oil companies.

Of course, this is no different than I've been saying all along, but if anybody can watch this movie and not come to these conclusions I'll say he's living in an alternate universe.

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Nov 15 2006, 07:29 PM) [snapback]349827[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, mine came in the mail yesterday (Tuesday) as well. Can't wait to watch it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 15 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]349830[/snapback]</div>
    I bought mine from Amazon.

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 15 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]350013[/snapback]</div>
    I lived for 19 years in a house in rural North Dakota. I bought a book case and when it was full I bought another. By the time I moved out, I literally had no more space for book shelves. My living room and the downstairs bedroom which served as a sort of alternate living room had bookshelves along all the walls, alternating between against the wall and sticking out from the wall. Books were shoved on top of books and I had begun to move some to boxes.

Now I get my books mostly from the library, and my DVDs mostly from NetFlix. It greatly reduces clutter. I seldom read a book twice, and if I want to I can check it out again. Same for DVDs.

But what a sickenly depressing movie this is. The criminality of the people that run this country (Bush joined the lawsuit against the CARB!) and the corporations who decide what technology we'll be permitted to buy, is just amazing.

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 16 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]350576[/snapback]</div>
    Ah. Well, when I get too much stuff, I give it away.

Which may be soon...And yeah, I have books everywhere.

13. kdailey356

kdailey356 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 17 2006, 05:05 AM) [snapback]350731[/snapback]</div>
    This was an amazing, amazing film. I watched it two times today. Poor EV-1's and there owners:( SO sad. Imagine if toyota did that to our prius's!!!!!!!!!?

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CapeCodPrius @ Nov 18 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]351595[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota DID do it to many of the Rav4EVs before we stopped them!

If you'd like to help the EV cause for very little extra expense - please buy your DVD from PluginAmerica.com

In fact, you can support PluginAmerica by buying a DVD from ME, even. I have a few copies here from them to distribute.

15. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to add that there is one thing I hate about the dvd and that is you have to go through all the crappy trailers just to get to the menu to watch the movie! :angry: This is why I havnt bought a dvd in about 4 years. I'm currently ripping the extra crap out and remastering the dvd so when I loan it out to people they wont have to go through all that crap.

16. Warwind

Warwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    All you have to do is press "MENU" on your remote to skip all the trailers and get to the main menu and watch the movie.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i like many also got it thru netflix. watched it twice, will most likely add it to my permanent collection. i watched "The Future of Food" which arrived on the same day. basically the EXACT same thing, only about the foods we eat. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for watching.

makes me realize that as an american citizen, we are all puppets and dont really have a voice in what goes on in this country.

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Along similar lines I watched Supersize Me. The DVD has an interview with the author of Fast Food Planet. Scary stuff!

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 19 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]351791[/snapback]</div>
    That's a great flick. Scary and sickening, but great.

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey... Just watched the out-takes. I star in one of the out-takes too. For about 3/4 of a second. But even my six-year-old recognized me.

I wonder when the royalty checks will start?