1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who left-foot brakes?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by amped, Feb 8, 2008.

1. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do. When I broke my right ankle skiing, I had a cast from my toes to my hip and had to both throttle and brake left-footed with the cast placed into the passenger side footwell. That was in grad school, many years ago, but I never reverted.

The only time I've regretted it is after a long layoff from driving an M/T car, left-foot the "brake" pedal and have it sink to the floor. It takes a moment to realize that it wasn't brake failure, but the clutch pedal.

Anyway, left-footing also helps during SCCA autocross. I've tried both ways and it's usually good for a half-second per minute when a win in my competetive group is usually measured in milliseconds.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only when I twisted my right ankle. Otherwise, it's right foot braking. Too many times have I seen people ride the brakes (the lights are on) while they're travelling at normal speeds.

3. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

I left foot drive sometimes. Both gas and brake. I only do it because on longer drives my left knee acts up- I had a torn medial meniscus and it needs to not be cramped up over there (I'm almost 6' tall).

Its a bit different, and its also funny to watch Matt try to drive my prius as he's used to stick shift, he's constantly looking for the clutch/gear shift.

4. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Us rural mail carriers sit on the passenger seat and reach over to steer with our left hand only and control the foot pedals with the left foot. (Wish I had a right hand drive Prius) :(

At other times and in other vehicles... I left-foot the brake when manuevering in tight spaces, on a steep terrain, or hooking/unhooking a trailer.

5. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    if not right-hand drive, then at least, bench seats --- Have you removed the senter console?

But if you did, there go the deluxe cup-holders ...

6. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "center" -- no illiteracy among the Pri-ites

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Christy Brown

8. colleenandphil

colleenandphil New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My husband left-foot brakes.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Centre.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did left foot brake once upon a time. I learned to drive in a manual trans and still drive one from time to time so I stick with right foot now except to back out the driveway. I think I picked up left foot braking manoeuvring around a tight workshop.

I agree with Tideland Prius about people driving with their foot on the brake. In my mechanic days had an old lady customer who complained her car was smoking, she was pressing her right foot to the floor on the accelerator and using the brakes to control speed. She was using her left foot on the brake she said because she was too old and weak to move her right foot quickly enough so a foot on each pedal was the solution. I sat her down and talked about how economical taxis were for her commuting. She only covered a few hundred kilometres per year. She sold the car.

11. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I fabricated a bracket and managed to move the center console back about 6". This works great for me during the route and still gives me an armrest, cupholders and storage the rest of the time. I know several other mail carriers who have removed it completely.

Click thumbnail to see detail:

Attached Files:

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh thank goodness. Somebody else wot can spell English. ;)

I use left foot braking all the time. On the xbox. :)

13. Sitting Duc

Sitting Duc Feathered Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I never left-foot-brake, centrally for two reasons:
    1. After 13-some years of driving manuals, I learned but quick first time in an automatic: left foot on brake is only good for testing Emergency Stop
    2. One of my stated reasons for getting a Prius in the first place is because my left foot is failing :( and I can't run a manual any more; but a standard automatic is lousy for fuel economy, so Prius - no clutch and better fuel economy than my manual 1.5L that it replaced.
    Of course, the left-foot "hand brake" is still annoying, but at least I only have to flick that twice per trip; instead of standing on it for several minutes at every red light or round-a-bout.
    In four months of prius ownership, I've mostly trained myself out of reaching for the clutch as I slow down or move off the line :)

14. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I occassionally left foot brake, generally when moving around tight areas. Occassionally do it on longer runs to just move that leg around, rather than have it doing nothing at all.

My mother has always left footed the brake, or at least as long as she has had an automatic. She keeps her foot off the brake so that she is not riding the brakes, but I find I cannot sit comfortable given the position of the actual brake pedal.

15. yabba

yabba New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Erm Nope - 'centre' is the correct spelling in England!

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And also in the home countries of Pat and I. :)