1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who Makes the Nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by finally_hybrid, Jul 9, 2007.

1. finally_hybrid

finally_hybrid New Member

Has anyone had opportunity to discover who is the maker of our Nav systems? I'd love to get some more info, so when it's time to update the maps I"m prepared without having to take it back to the dealer. :D

Thanks~

2. rik

rik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finally_hybrid @ Jul 9 2007, 07:11 AM) [snapback]475429[/snapback]</div>
    I'm interested myself but haven't been able to figure it out. I suspect it's a Japanese company, based on the rather poor diction that indicates a sloppy translation from something else.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

DENSO Corporation makes the NAV system. IIRC, the actual data is from NAVTEQ, infoUSA, and others.

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jul 9 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]475529[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but from what I have been able to find, that you need the actual version for the Prius (or at least Toyota), and perhaps specific for the year of the car as well.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Specific year, yeah probably since there are two screen resolutions and probably a corresponding two different DVD discs.

But yeah the unit is from DENSO and I believe the mapping is Navteq's.

6. finally_hybrid

finally_hybrid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finally_hybrid @ Jul 9 2007, 07:11 AM) [snapback]475429[/snapback]</div>

Thank you for all the information. That gives me something to start on! I have been enjoying the Navigation system. I was afraid that when I sold my Magellan I would be sorry to change. I've never had a Nav in the dash.

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As a suggestion, look in the nav manual at all the copyright notices. Everybody and their brother and aunt claim intellectual property on the nav DVD. I think maybe Denso integrates the data from several sources; map data, turn data, POI data, etc. Also, maybe different sources for different regions, even in just the US. Some areas seem fairly current, with new roads, freeway exits, etc., while other areas don't show streets that have been on the ground for many years. You can get updated nav data only from Toyota, usually once a year in the fall, and the data is usually two years old.

8. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it does take time to collect the data, filter it, compile it and then publish the disc. Of course, a paper map (usually 1 year) is quicker than the the DVD (~ 2 years). It goes for both Navteq and TeleAtlas

FloridaWen, the nav system will read copied DVDs. I'm not sure what your problem is (not you as a person, but the situation).

cause there have been several people over at GreenHybrid who have burned copies of the DVD so that they can remove the speed-lockout on the nav, allowing their passenger to operate the system while the car is in motion.

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius