1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Who needs a more expensive 120v to 240v converter?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Marine Ray, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Recent 3 min video by 2019 PP owner who used common plug found at Home Depot along with 120v cords to get 240v Level 2 charging. Key is to plug 120v cords into two separate circuits. $8.57 Home Depot plug Model Model #R50-515PV-LIT.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If this guy in the video had GFI's in his kitchen as he SHOULD, around the sink - this wouldn't work. The GFI's will trip because they don't see the same resistance coming back through the neutral as the neutral isn't used.
    He'd do better by just suggesting an already pre-made system, thusly.

quick220. Com

The Search tool is our friend, where we can discover that this topic has already been covered quite a bit.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the link and the explaination of why the GFCI will trip without the neutral. It's also mentioned in the quick220 Voltage Converter description paragraph, "2 Non GFI outlets required" but doesn't give the reason why like you have.
    And also reminds me that even though I rewired the garbage disposal switch in the 4 gang junction box next to the kitchen sink, I never put in a GFI in the other space next to the switch. many more details about those 2 separate circuits in that 4 gang and the other circuit that powers the dishwasher right next to and under those 2, that I've already partially upgraded and called it a day.
    Even though the disposal switch circuit is GFI protected in the basement, I'm always aware of flipping the disposal switch when my other hand is in the sink with the water running. straight line to ground kindles memories.
    Time to get out one of the new GFI's and install and test it while keeping my fingers crossed I don't find something else in the process that needs to be corrected.

hill likes this.
  4. Marine Ray

Marine Ray Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great info, thx. If you want to help out the gentleman that posted the video, kindly make a comment on his video. Certain he would appreciate your insight.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    there are a few posts here on PC that do a decent job of building your own 240v box from the 2 opposing 120v "legs" (described as circuits in the video). If someone is comfortable with electricity, that's around 400% cheaper than the 220v box commercial version linked above.

Marine Ray likes this.